The Ethics Institute at Michigan State University (MSU) is seeking outstanding candidates for open-rank assistant/associate/full professor or academic specialist to serve as Project Director (Strategic Organization Structure Leader). The position will provide leadership in establishing organizational structures for institutional transformation by providing support for assessment and engagement structures across major administrative units on campus. The institute will coordinate the university-wide educational and research initiatives to amplify the strengths of existing applied ethics centers and foster the growth of new centers on campus. The institute is designed to support the growth of existing initiatives and foster the development of new college-level or discipline-based endeavors. This position will report to the provost and is initially for one year; however, it may be extended if needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- 40%- Mapping existing ethics work occurring within administrative units, identifying synergies where existing work can be connected or enhanced, identifying gaps where additional work would be beneficial, and developing pilot programs to aid administrative units in embedding ethical considerations into their work.
- 40%- Identify and engage with outside leaders in industry and large organizations around institutional ethics. Work closely with the executive leadership group of the Ethics Institute and representative of the major administrative leaders across campus.
- 10%- Collaborate with and identify opportunities to align the work of the Ethics Institute with the university’s existing strategic plan and DEI and RVSM plans.
- 5%- Monitors internal and external data trends and keeps the campus current concerning initiatives across campus.
- 5%- Other job duties as assigned.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
- Tenure system, fixed-term faculty or academic specialist position; it is anticipated that this appointment will be approximately 49-51% effort (negotiable) with the remaining appointment, if applicable, in the applicable candidate’s MSU home department or school.
- Must have an earned master’s degree. or its equivalent, open to multiple disciplines.
- Assistant Professor level positions require experience leading and providing support for assessment and engagement structures across major administrative units in higher ed, experience in conceiving or initiating major new projects or programs, and earned a Ph.D. degree or its equivalent, open to multiple disciplines, and an established record of external funding and scholarship.
- Professor level applicants are expected to have earned a Ph.D. degree or its equivalent, open to multiple disciplines, and have experience providing support for assessment and engagement structures across major administrative units in higher ed, and an established record of external funding and scholarship.
- Specialist level applicants require experience providing support for assessment and engagement structures across major administrative units, and earned a master’s degree or its equivalent, open to multiple disciplines.
- Experience in conceiving or initiating major new projects or programs
Required Application Materials
- Cover Letter and CV/Resume
The university is requiring all MSU students, faculty and staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19 with limited exceptions. Learn more at: https://msu.edu/together-we-will/
Review of Applications Begins On
Remote Work Statement
MSU strives to provide a flexible work environment and this position has been designated as remote-friendly. Remote-friendly means some or all of the duties can be performed remotely as mutually agreed upon.
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.