Department: Dean of Students
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If you require any auxiliary aids, services, or other accommodations to apply for employment, or for an interview, at Michigan Technological University, please notify the Human Resources office at 906-487-2280 or .
Job Description Summary
The Manager of Student Outreach & Retention provides non-clinical case
management services to undergraduate and graduate students with the goal of enhancing success and well-being from enrollment to commencement. This position provides support to students facing difficulties that may impact their degree completion. The manager also provides support to students as they transition from high school to college or from undergraduate to graduate programs. This position assists with student-focused policy creation and revision. The manager of Student Outreach and Retention works collaboratively with university departments, staff, and community resources to offer a holistic approach to student success.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
* Provide assistance to undergraduate and graduate students with academic, personal, social, physical health, mental health, financial, behavioral or other difficulties.
* Assist and guide students through the medical withdrawal process and
coordinate their successful return to campus following a withdrawal.
* Assist and guide graduate students through parental leave and leave of absence requests and coordinate their successful return to campus.
* Provide support services and coordination for students who have been
hospitalized or are receiving ongoing medical care.
* Actively track and follow up with students who have withdrawn to encourage re-enrollment where appropriate.
* Assess and evaluate student data with the goal of proposing policy changes to support student retention.
* Coordinate appropriate and comprehensive intervention and communication
between students and university offices, academic departments, health care providers and community resources both locally and in the student's home area.
* Monitor and respond to Students of Concern and concern/complaint reports as requested.
* Manage Student Emergency Fund requests and allocations.
* Complete administrative tasks and maintain, monitor, and track records of students receiving case management services.
* Assess and evaluate services provided to students.
* Serve as an active member of the Early Intervention (behavioral threat assessment) Team and the Academic Intervention Team, referring students to appropriate support services/resources and providing active follow up to ensure they are connecting with resources and adhering to plans of action.
* Guide and support students (and their families or persons of support) in navigating university policies, procedures, and resources.
* Provide outreach, academic coaching, workshops, and tutoring to at-risk student populations throughout the semester, focusing on topics such as time management, organizational skills, exam preparation, test taking strategies, and meeting graduate school milestones.
* Maintain strong working relationships with colleagues in campus offices such as the Wahtera Center for Student Success, Counseling Services, Residence Education & Housing, Academic & Community Conduct, and Financial Aid.
* Develop and deliver presentations and workshops to provide professional
development and transitional support to students.
* Supervise student employees in the Dean of Students Office
* Manage the Husky FAN Food Pantry and assist students with food insecurity.
* Assist students experiencing housing insecurity.
* Serve as a member of the Commencement Committee.
Required Education, Certifications, Licensures (minimum requirements)
* Masters degree in social work, education, counseling, psychology, or related field
Required Experience (minimum requirements)
* At least 2 years of experience working in an educational setting with secondary or college-age students.
* Experience managing confidential and private information.
* Experience with public speaking or professional presentations.
Desirable Education and/or Experience
* Three or more years of experience as a case manager, advisor, or educator of college age students.
* Experience in crisis intervention and management.
* Knowledge of higher education academic policies and administrative
* Experience in writing and developing academic policies and procedures.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities (minimum requirements)
* Demonstrated knowledge of academic learning strategies such as time
management, organization and study preparation.
* Demonstrated ability to community with individuals across racial, ethnic, cultural, and other boundaries and styles through interpersonal, oral, written, and group presentation modalities.
* Conflict resolution skills: ability to address and resolve differences and conflict with colleagues, students, and others.
* Computational skills: ability to perform basic mathematical computations to assist with financial operations and data collection, analysis, and reporting.
* Computer skills: proficiency with word processing and spreadsheets, case management or note keeping software.
* Ability to handle multiple projects in a timely and professional manner in a fast-paced and results-oriented environment.
* Ability to promote and achieve diversity,... For full info follow application link.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.