People are at the heart of everything we do, and the inspiration for our legacy of outstanding outcomes, innovation, strong community partnerships, philanthropy and transparency. Corewell Health is a not-for-profit health system that provides health care and coverage with an exceptional team of more than 60,000 dedicated people - including more than 11,500 physicians and advanced practice providers and more than 15,000 nurses providing care and services in 22 hospitals, 300+ outpatient locations and several post-acute facilities - and Priority Health, a provider-sponsored health plan serving more than 1.2 million members. Through experience and collaboration, we are reimagining a better, more equitable model of health and wellness.
The role of the Histotechnologist is to perform all of the specialized procedures performed in the Histopathology lab. These technologists perform IHC and DIF procedures, Enzyme Histochemistry, grossing of small biopsies, and are involved in laboratory education.
1. Embeds and properly orients surgical, autopsy and cytology cell block tissue for microtomy.
2. Cuts routine tissue specimens according to defined protocols.
3. Performs routine and special staining of microscopic tissue sections.
4. Assists the Pathologist with OR frozen section cases
5. Depending on campus location may:
* Independently perform Immunoperoxidase staining, microtomy of FFPE tissue. Independently
6. perform Direct Immunofluorescent staining, including flash freezing and cutting, of fresh
7. biopsies. Procedures use both manual techniques and complex equipment.
* Prepare fresh tissue biopsies for enzyme histochemical procedures using cryotechniques.
8. Performs and troubleshoots all enzyme histochemical procedures.
* Under the supervision of the pathologist performs grossing of small biopsies.
* Assists in teaching in the Histotechnologist school to include: Laboratory Demonstrations,
9. Lectures, preparation for laboratory assignments.
This document represents the major duties, responsibilities, and authorities of this job, and is not intended to be a complete list of all tasks and functions. It should be understood, therefore, that incumbents may be asked to perform job-related duties beyond those explicitly described.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
A. Education / Training:
* Minimum Bachelor of Science Degree in Biology, Clinical Laboratory Sciences or equivalent
* Preferred attendance of an accredited NAACLS Histotechnology program
B. Work Experience:
C. Certification, Licensure, Registration:
* Histotechnologist (ASCP) certification or certification eligible. Must pass exam within one year of hire.
D. Other Qualifications:
* Participates in:
o Q.I./process improvements, data collection, QC documentation, and/or CAP surveys as
o applicable to the assigned department.
o Staff activities of a High Reliability Organization (HRO)
o Assists in training new hires as applicable/assigned
o Staff meetings and committee meetings as assigned
* Cost effectiveness: Efficient use of time in completing tasks accurately and timely. Mindful of
appropriate use of laboratory funds through purchase requests and the observance of wasteful use of supplies.
Corewell Health offers a comprehensive benefits package to meet your financial, health and life-work balance goals.
NEW On-demand pay program - powered by Payactiv
Generous paid time off, holidays and flexible scheduling
Our employees receive special discounts on a wide range of products and services
Exceptional health, dental, vision and prescription drug insurance plans
Generous retirement savings, disability insurance, identify theft protection and even home and auto insurance
Free onsite parking at all campuses
This is where extraordinary begins. Find out where it can take you and your career. Apply Now!
Primary LocationSITE - Royal Oak Hospital - 3601 W 13 Mile Road - Royal Oak
Department NameLab - Anatomic Pathology Hist Surg EM - CH East - North
Employment TypeFull time
ShiftEvening (United States of America)
Weekly Scheduled Hours40
Hours of Work2pm - 10:30pm
Days WorkedMonday through Friday
CURRENT COREWELL HEALTH TEAM MEMBERS - Please apply through Find Jobs from your Workday team member account. This career site is for Non-Corewell Health team members only.
Corewell Health is committed to providing a safe environment for our team members, patients, visitors and community. That is why we require a drug-free workplace and various vaccinations as a requirement for employment.
Corewell Health grants equal employment opportunity to all qualified persons without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, religion, genetic information, marital status, height, weight, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected category.
An interconnected, collaborative culture where all are encouraged to bring their whole selves to work, is vital to the health of our organization. As a health system, we advocate for equity as we care for our patients, our communities, and each other. From workshops that develop cultural intelligence, to... For full info follow application link.
Beaumont Health is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability.