Position Summary(Basic Job Function)
This is a temporary or an on-call position. Provides professional support. Responsibilities may include general business, science, medical, agricultural or other professional support functions. Term: Temps can work two (2) nine (9) month terms with a week break in service in between and at the end of the second term terminate for three (3) months or switch to an on-call. On-Call allowed to work 1039 hours in any twelve (12) month period.
Unit Position Summary
Michigan State University (MSU) Extension helps people improve their lives by bringing the vast knowledge resources of MSU directly to individuals, communities and businesses. MSU Tollgate Farm and Education Center promotes food system awareness through exploring the sustainable, nutritional, and cultural aspects of agriculture. During the school year, MSU Tollgate Farm offers enrichment programs that include experiential, educational programs for youth and adults from community groups and public and private schools. The farm supports itself financially through rentals and agri-tourism special events such as Pumpkinfest, Fall Farmstand, and also corporate/private rental events at the farm.
We are seeking a staff member to support the hospitality and food service aspect of these events. This individual will spend their time working rental events providing overall hospitality to attendees, set-up/clean-up food service, operating concession stand at special events and other customer service related duties. This is a part time on-call position that will work up to 20 hours per week depending on rental and special event schedule.
- Commit to assisting with events based on your availability
- As necessary, assist MSU Tollgate staff with set-up/tear-down of venue(s)/rental space (this may include chairs, tables, linens, AV equipment)
- Ensure details of the event are executed in timely manner by working with the Event Coordinator. This may include pre and post event preparation as well as day of
- Greet client(s) and provide hospitality support services throughout the event
- Represent MSU Tollgate Farm in a professional manner when interfacing with outside Event Vendors at site
- Maintain the proper Tollgate experience, delivering items, fulfilling customer needs, replenishing utensils, refilling beverages/food as needed, etc.
- Set up buffet, replenish and clean-up tools/supplies and space as necessary
- Follow proper sanitation guidelines during food preparation and packing activities
- Interface with MSU Tollgate Staff as necessary during the event
- Report to Event Coordinator of issues, concerns, any special group needs, and final outcome of event
- Ensure a safe environment for guests/farm property and livestock
- As necessary, perform cleaning tasks as needed; empty trash receptacles, replenish ice, etc.
- Attend event training with Event Coordinator at MSU Tollgate Farm
- Work at outdoor and/or indoor settings on MSU’s Tollgate Farm
- Work independently or with a team based on event
- Maintain high standards of safety and cleanliness
- Maintain inventory of all Conference Center equipment and supplies
- Provide excellent customer service
- Understand and communicate about products and services available at Tollgate
- Light to moderate physical tasks and stand for length of time
- Use of technology (e.g., web research, Zoom, Microsoft Teams, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook for mail/calendaring, Clover devices, etc.).
- Attend training and obtain certification to operate on-site golf cart, tractor, and service vehicles as needed.
- Perform administrative/clerical duties as necessary
- Proven ability in establishing and working with a diverse network of constituents and community members across race, gender, socioeconomic class, disabilities, and other differences to assist with program development and outreach.
- Understanding of and ability to implement Civil Rights principles and compliance standards.
- Food service or restaurant experience (or related experience) preferred
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to promote and maintain cooperative working relationships with educational groups, park visitors, and other employees
- Will be required to work assigned special events, weekends, evenings and holidays
- Will be required to adjust schedule to meet organizational needs
- Ability to work well under the direction of supervisor
- Ability to work independently, exercise sound judgement, act with discretion
- Ability to solve problems as they arise in a program setting
- Ability to perform essential duties
- Detail Oriented
- Other skills and/or physical abilities required to perform duties of the position.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Required Application Materials
Resume and Cover Letter.