HIRING AUTHORITY: Director
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
EMPLOYMENT RELATIONSHIP: Just cause subject to probationary period
CURRENT HOURS AND STARTING TIME: Full-time position (37.5 hours per week.) The starting time for the position is currently 8:00 a.m.
Under direction, performs finance and accounting functions involved in the implementation, maintenance and review of Macomb Community Action (MCA) budgets, fiscal accounts, and funding reports. Other functions include analyzing budgetary issues, monitoring monthly reports, and providing direction and supervision to all component program staff. Coordinates all aspects of the budget preparation and budget monitoring process. Assists the Macomb Community Action Director in planning for the overall financial direction of Macomb Community Action.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Provides direction for implementing current year budget compliance, budget amendments and changing regulations.
Assumes responsibility for the development of Macomb Community Action’s budgets and budget monitoring.
Completes monthly and quarterly reports for funding sources for Macomb Community Action.
Analyzes and monitors budget progress.
Resolves budgetary issues that may arise throughout the year.
Supervises the administrative accounting staff and oversees daily functions, collaboration, and activities.
Assists in the drafting and implementation of fiscal policies and procedures within the department.
Prepares for and attends budget meetings.
Works with MCA Program Managers with budget planning and grant management.
Updates and maintains reports and files on department salaries.
Reviews and signs vouchers, prepares journal entries, and oversees payroll processes.
Operates accounting system in regard to financial input and information retrieval.
Monitors increment and evaluation processes.
Meets with and gives presentations to county officials, administrators, and community organizations.
Attends local, regional, and state meetings and conferences.
Operates an automobile to perform assigned job functions.
Performs related duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance or a related field
- Five (5) years of experience working with budgetary reporting, preparation and general accounting procedures in a government setting
Preferred Education and Experience
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance or a related field
- Previous management or supervisory experience
Required Licenses or Certifications
- Possession of a valid Michigan driver’s license and operable, insured automobile for authorized travel
COMPETENCIES FOR SUCCESSFUL PERFORMANCE OF JOB DUTIES
- General accounting principles and procedures
- Budget management technique and best practices
- Grant reporting procedures
- County policies and procedures
- Various computer programs and applications
- Organizing and time management
- Assigning, prioritizing, monitoring, and reviewing work assignments
- Monitoring and reviewing work assignments
- Analyzing and problem solving
- Working with diverse populations
- Supervise, direct and organize the works of others
- Present information in a clear, concise, and professional manner
- Effectively communicate with departments to coordinate, analyze, interpret, and solve budgetary issues
- Work effectively in stressful conditions and make responsible decisions appropriate to the scope of the position and according to established policies and procedures
- Work independently and meet deadlines with limited supervision
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, department leaders and the public
- Work in an environment which embraces the county’s Dignity Campaign
- Effectively speak, write and understand the English language
- Effectively speak, write and understand a language other than English is preferred
- Understand and carry out oral and/or written instructions
- Accurately organize and maintain paper documents and electronic files
- Maintain the confidentiality of information and professional boundaries
- Work independently