DEPARTMENT: Facilities and Operations
HIRING AUTHORITY: Director
F.L.S.A. STATUS: Non-exempt
EMPLOYMENT RELATIONSHIP: Just cause subject to probationary period
CURRENT HOURS AND STARTING TIME: Full-time (40 hours per week) position. The hours for this position is 12:00 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
Under direction, is responsible for guarding County owned and leased property against fire, theft, vandalism and illegal entry. Performs a walking patrol of County buildings and grounds; examines doors and windows to determine that they are secure; watches for and reports irregularities such as fire hazards, leaking water pipes and doors left unlocked. Assists employees and the public in providing information and other types of requested assistance.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Inspects equipment and furniture to ascertain if tampering has occurred.
Shuts off office equipment where applicable and reports as needed to Facilities and Operations.
Watches for and reports irregularities, such as fire hazards, leaking water pipes and doors left unlocked.
Observes departing personnel to guard against theft of County property.
Sounds alarm or calls police or fire department in case of fire or presence of unauthorized persons.
Permits authorized persons to enter property.
Records data, such as property damage, unusual occurrences and malfunctioning of equipment on incident report.
Prepares buildings for morning openings and evening closings.
Performs tasks to immediately rectify potential hazards when necessary.
Performs periodic inspection/testing of emergency and exit lighting.
Assists others, and when necessary, directs them to the appropriate office or staff member.
May be required to provide security to areas other than those regularly assigned.
May register at watch stations to record time of inspection trips.
Performs related duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
- Possession of a high school diploma or a certificate of successful completion of the General Educational Development Test
- One (1) year of security experience
Preferred Education and Experience
- Three (3) years of unarmed security guard experience
Required Licenses or Certifications
- Possession of a valid Michigan driver’s license and operable, insured automobile for authorized travel
COMPETENCIES FOR SUCCESSFUL PERFORMANCE OF JOB DUTIES
- Security procedures and practices
- Interpersonal skills necessary to develop and maintain effective and appropriate working relationships with co-workers
- Conflict resolution
- Customer service
- Stand or walk for most, if not all, each shift
- Effectively speak, write and understand the English language
- Effectively speak, write and understand a language other than English is preferred
- Understand and carry out oral and/or written instructions
- Accurately organize and maintain paper documents and electronic files
- Maintain the confidentiality of information
- Work independently