DEPARTMENT: Sheriff's Office
HIRING AUTHORITY: Sheriff
FLSA STATUS: Non-exempt
EMPLOYMENT REPRESENTATION: Just cause subject to probation period
UNION REPRESENTATION: Non-union
CURRENT HOURS AND STARTING TIME: Multiple part-time (up to 25 hours per week) positions available. The starting time for these positions could be as early as 6:00 a.m. and the end time could be as late as 9:00 p.m., depending on the location.
Under direction, screens individuals entering a County operated facility for any weapons and/or forbidden items; greets individuals desiring to enter a County operated facility and informs them that they must be screened prior to entry; operates various electronic control and scanning devices in order to screen for weapons and/or other forbidden items; observes assigned areas to detect and prevent unauthorized activities; completes various forms and/or documents.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Screens individuals entering a County operated facility for any weapons or other forbidden items.
Greets individuals desiring to enter a County operated facility and informs them that they must be screened prior to entry.
Operates various electronic control and scanning devices in order to screen for weapons and/or other forbidden items.
Observes assigned areas to detect and prevent unauthorized or inappropriate activities.
Prevents inappropriate activities and/or behavior and intervenes when inappropriate activities and/or behavior are observed.
De-escalates unruly and/or disruptive behavior.
Completes various reports and/or documents.
If possessing a valid Concealed Pistol License (CPL), participates in and successfully completes required firearms training as designated by the Sheriff as well as meets and maintains firearms qualification and standards in order to carry a weapon.
Performs related duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
- Possession of a high school diploma or a certificate of successful completion of the General Educational Development Test
- Previous experience in law enforcement, security, public safety or corrections
Preferred Licenses or Certifications
- Valid Concealed Pistol License (CPL)
COMPETENCIES FOR SUCCESSFUL PERFORMANCE OF JOB DUTIES
- Security procedures and practices
- Effectively speak, write and understand the English language
- Effectively speak, write and understand a language other than English is preferred
- Understand and carry out oral and/or written instructions
- Conduct oneself with tact and courtesy
- Accurately organize and maintain paper documents and electronic files
- Maintain the confidentiality of information
- Work independently