DEPARTMENT: Office of Senior Services
HIRING AUTHORITY: Director
FLSA STATUS: Non-exempt - overtime paid pursuant to Human Resources policy
EMPLOYMENT RELATIONSHIP: Just cause subject to probationary period
CURRENT HOURS AND STARTING TIME: Full-time (37.5 hours per week) position. The starting time for this position is currently 8:30 a.m.
Under direction, develops, organizes and directs the volunteer programs associated with Macomb Community Action programs throughout the County. Implements, assesses and maintains the volunteer program; coordinates volunteer activities to build a strong base of community support for the agency; performs related duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Develops, organizes, promotes and a wide range of volunteer opportunities within the agency.
Develops, implements, and conducts training programs and activities for all volunteers.
Supervises and evaluates assigned staff.
Recruits, interviews, and assigns applicants for volunteer work.
Develops position descriptions for each volunteer role.
Promotes volunteer opportunities through recruitment, public strategies and campaigns.
Coordinates volunteer activities in conjunction with and in support of programs throughout the Agency.
Assists with public information activities; creates and distributes various communications and publications.
Develops partnerships with social, civic and local organizations to develop and/or utilize volunteers.
Maintains accurate records and database; provides statistical reports on volunteer participation.
Provides ongoing support and guidance for volunteers.
Acts as liaison, representative and/or resource person between the Macomb Community Action Agency, Office of Senior Services, local and state agencies and the public.
May be required to work evenings, weekends and holidays to ensure program needs are met.
Operates an automobile while performing assigned job duties.
Required Education and Experience
- A Bachelor's Degree in Public Administration, Gerontology, Psychology, Social Work, Humans Services or a related field from an accredited college or university
- A minimum of three (3) years supervisory experience, preferably working in human or community service
Preferred Education and Experience
- Previous experience working with volunteers
Required Licenses and/or Certifications
- A valid Michigan Driver's license and an operable insured automobile for authorized travel
COMPETENCIES FOR SUCCESSFUL PERFORMANCE OF JOB DUTIES
- Community resources, human service agencies, programs and services available for senior citizens
- Various software and computer skills: Windows, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Modern office procedures, methods and computer equipment
- Grant management
- Organizational and initiative skills, including the ability to multi-task and manage time wisely
- Interpersonal skills necessary to develop and maintain effective and appropriate working relationships
- Performing a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature
- Effective problem solving skills
- Effective communication and public speaking
- Public speaking and presentations
- Using Google products and Microsoft suite
- Direct, supervise and organize the work of others
- Work independently and meet deadlines with limited supervision
- Network within various community groups
- Effectively speak, write and understand the English language
- Speak and understand a language other than English is preferred
- Maintain confidentiality and professional boundaries
- Work with diverse populations
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, senior citizens, service providers, funding sources and community leaders
- Conduct oneself with tact and courtesy