DEPARTMENT: County Clerk/Register of Deeds
HIRING AUTHORITY: County Clerk/Register of Deeds
FLSA STATUS: Non-exempt - Overtime pursuant to Collective Bargaining Agreement or Human Resources and Labor Relations
EMPLOYMENT RELATIONSHIP: Just cause subject to a probationary period
CURRENT HOURS AND STARTING TIME: Full-time (37.5 hours per week) position. The starting time for this position is currently 8:00 a.m.
Under direction, receives and records payments made in person or by mail; counts large sums of money to verify amounts; issues receipts for funds received; posts data to accounts and balances receipts and disbursements.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Receives checks and/or cash from the public, County Departments and employees in person or by mail and records amounts received.
Recomputes or computes bills, itemized lists and tickets showing amount due using adding machine or cash register.
Counts large sums of money to verify amounts and issues receipts for funds received.
Issues change and cashes checks following established procedures.
Compares totals on cash register and/or cash receipts with amount of currency in register/cash drawer to verify balances.
Posts data to accounts and balances receipts and disbursements.
Verifies the accuracy of figures, calculations and postings.
Prepares bank deposit slips.
Maintains petty cash account.
Disburses cash and writes vouchers.
Provides telephone coverage and answers questions appropriate to skill level; relays messages to appropriate individuals or departments.
Disburses payments and other funds to various accounts; reconciles and balances accounts.
Operates standard office equipment such as typewriters, personal computers, facsimile machines, copiers, cash registers, calculators and adding machines.
May perform clerical duties such as typing, copying documents, filing, proofreading and sorting mail.
Performs related duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
- High school diploma (or GED equivalent)
- One (1) year of office clerical work experience
Preferred Education and Experience
- Associates degree or higher
- Three (3) or more years of office clerical, bookkeeping or accounting related work experience
Required Licenses or Certifications
- Possession of a valid Michigan driver’s license, operable automobile and insurance
COMPETENCIES FOR SUCCESSFUL PERFORMANCE OF JOB DUTIES
- Cashier and/or clerical accounting principles and practices
- Word and Excel
- Office terminology, procedures, equipment, management practices and specialized municipal functions; and of business arithmetic
- Interpersonal skills necessary to develop and maintain effective and appropriate working relationships with elected officials, Administrators, Department Heads, staff, union officials and the public
- Performing a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature
- Performing basic mathematical functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, percentages, and ratios
- Assigning, prioritizing, monitoring, and reviewing work assignments
- Make relatively complex mathematical computations rapidly and accurately
- Work in an environment which embrace's the County's Dignity campaign
- Effectively speak, write and understand the English language
- Effectively speak, write and understand a language other than English is preferred
- Understand and carry out oral and/or written instructions
- Accurately organize and maintain paper documents and electronic files
- Maintain the confidentiality of information
- Work independently