DEPARTMENT: Macomb Community Action
HIRING AUTHORITY: Director
FLSA STATUS: Non-exempt - overtime paid pursuant to Collective Bargaining Agreements and Human Resources policy.
EMPLOYMENT RELATIONSHIP: Just cause subject to probationary period
CURRENT HOURS AND STARTING TIME: Part-time (up to 29 hours per week) position. The starting time for this position currently varies.
This position works in the Head Start Program.
Under supervision, works cooperatively with and assists in the implementation of the Head Start Program; assists in preparing the children and families by meeting program goals, objectives and outcomes to ensure the development of family goals, program health requirements and readiness skills; assists in meeting individual needs of children and families; performs related duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Appropriately interacts with children and families throughout the day as directed by the Teacher and management staff. Encourages exploration, decision making and language stimulation.
Supports parents in their role as their child’s first and most important teacher and provides positive reinforcement while building self-confidence and self-esteem within a healthy classroom environment.
Participates in recruitment, registration and all required screenings for children, along with any assigned classroom activities.
Maintains a clean, safe and healthy classroom and work environment in accordance with State Of Michigan Child Daycare Licensing regulations and all Head Start Performance Standards.
Maintains, collects and enters data regarding ongoing child/family services provided, using program specific software.
Works with individual children or small groups, when directed, to meet Head Start Performance Standards, program policies and procedures, objectives and child outcomes.
Assists in ensuring compliance with Head Start, Local, State and Federal regulations for early childhood programming.
Stays current with early childhood developmentally appropriate practices through online training/videos, conferences, seminars and in-service training as determined by Head Start Program Performance Standards and in consultation with Agency leadership.
Performs related duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
- High school diploma or a certificate of successful completion of the General Educational Development Test.
- As a condition of employment, an employee within this classification must be willing to enroll in a Child Development Associate (CDA) credential program upon employment and successfully complete the certification within two (2) years of employment, per the Head Start Act, 12/12/07, Section 648Aii.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Associate Degree in Early Childhood Education, Early Childhood Development or a related field from an accredited college or university
- Child Development Associate (CDA) credential
- Previous experience working with pre-school age children.
- Previous experience with a Head Start Program.
COMPETENCIES FOR SUCCESSFUL PERFORMANCE OF JOB DUTIES
- Knowledge of current early childhood development techniques and practices for working with children who present challenging behaviors
- Interpersonal skills necessary to develop and maintain effective and appropriate working relationships with staff, clients, families, outside professionals, agencies, and the public