This position is within the WIC Program of the Health Department located in Clinton Twp.
HIRING AUTHORITY: Director/Health Officer
F.L.S.A. STATUS: Non-Exempt
EMPLOYMENT RELATIONSHIP: Just cause subject to a probationary period.
CURRENT HOURS AND STARTING TIME: Full-time position (37.5 hours per week). The starting time for this position is currently 8:30 a.m. This position requires occasional early morning, evening, and/or weekend hours.
Under direction, assists in the administration of public health programs and activities; performs personnel management activities including interviewing, disciplining, training and evaluating professional and support staff. Coordinates, monitors and evaluates assigned program operations and activities. Ensures that program and clinic functions operate in accordance with overall program plans and requirements. Performs related duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Assists in the administration of public health programs and activities.
Coordinates, monitors and evaluates assigned program operations and activities.
Performs personnel management activities including interviewing, disciplining, training and
evaluating professional and support staff; makes effective recommendations regarding personnel such as hires, transfers, promotions, and disciplinary actions.
Ensures compliance with reporting and regulatory requirements.
Assists in the preparation and implementation of budgets and supervises fiscal activities for
Coordinates the assignment of staff to programs and functions within facilities or in field locations.
Assists in the development and implementation of long and short-term programs and activities.
Monitors, prepares, and ensures accomplishment of reports regarding program goals and
Participates on committees in the agency and in the community.
Provides staff orientation and development.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Public Health, Nursing, Health Administration or a related field from an accredited college or university
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in the supervision and/or management of public health services and/or programs
Preferred Education and Experience
- Master's Degree in Public Health, Nursing, Health Administration or a related field from an accredited college or university
- Current Registered Dietitian/Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RD/RDN): must have the RD/RDN credential, granted from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics’ Commission on Dietetic Registration
- Previous experience in public health
Required Licenses or Certifications
- Possession of a valid Michigan driver's license and an operable insured automobile for authorized travel
COMPETENCIES FOR SUCCESSFUL PERFORMANCE OF JOB DUTIES
- Principles, practices, current developments, and techniques related to public health
- Principles and techniques used in disease investigation outbreaks
- Personal computer capabilities, operations and applications related to Desktop Operating Systems, MS-Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), E-mail products and Web development products
- Demonstrated proficiency with Google Suite (Gmail, drive, sheets, etc.)
- Supervising, directing, and organizing the work of others.
- Demonstrated decision-making ability and problem solving skills
- Communicate highly complex information to people with varying levels of knowledge
- Make public presentations to various community partners, organizations, boards, and the public on highly complex information
- Maintain complex clerical records and prepare reports from such records
- Work independently and meet deadlines with limited supervision
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, other professionals and agencies of the public
- Effectively speak, write and understand the English language
- Speak and understand a language other than English is preferred
- Initiate, coordinate, and implement policies, procedures, and programs to meet agency goals and objectives
- Conduct oneself with tact and courtesy