DEPARTMENT: Department of Roads
LOCATION: Vehicle Maintenance - Clinton Township
HIRING AUTHORITY: Director
FLSA STATUS: Non-exempt /Overtime pursuant to Collective Bargaining Agreement or Human Resources and Labor Relations Policy
EMPLOYMENT RELATIONSHIP: Just cause subject to probationary period
UNION REPRESENTATION: Road Technicians Association
CURRENT HOURS AND STARTING TIME: Full-time (40 hours per week) position. The starting time for this position is currently 7:00 a.m.
Under direction, performs mechanical repairs and maintenance on all Macomb County Department of Roads vehicles or equipment, Macomb County fleet vehicles and Macomb County Sheriff vehicles. Various pieces of equipment include but are not limited to heavy-duty trucks, semi tractors, graders, loaders, gradalls, underbody blades, material spreaders, dump bodies, snow plows, trailers, electronic message boards, street sweepers, aerial towers, pick-up trucks and various cars.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Performs mechanical repairs and preventative maintenance on various pieces of equipment.
Identifies and repairs mechanical issues including but not limited to; mechanical and computer electronic controls, air brake systems, transmissions, computer controlled automatic transmissions, electrical repairs, exhaust and emission control systems, heating and air conditioning, hydraulics, steering and suspension systems.
Performs routine maintenance checks and adjustments on vehicles and equipment including: fluid levels, hoses, belts, brakes, tires, and clutches, change oil and filters, and lubricate equipment.
Performs a variety of welding functions.
Maintains vehicle records by recording service and repairs.
Provides mechanical information or advice as needed to appropriate personnel.
Maintains vehicle appearance by cleaning, washing, and painting.
Responds to routine and emergency calls for repairs and service.
Utilizes mechanized tools, jacks, floor hoists and above ground hoist.
Maintains equipment by following operating instructions; troubleshooting breakdowns; maintaining supplies; performing preventive maintenance; calling for repairs.
Maintains a tidy work environment.
May be required to work irregular hours, weekends and holidays when needed.
Performs related duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
- Possession of a high school diploma or a certificate of successful completion of the General Educational Development Test
Additional Required Experience for Master Welder
- Proven experience as a welder
- Experience with fabrication, construction and repair welding skills by determining the appropriate welding equipment or method based on requirements
- Must be able to set up components for welding according to specifications
Preferred Education and Experience
- Possession of an Associates Degree in Automotive Technology or related field
Required Licenses or Certifications
- Be licensed as a Certified Mechanic in heavy duty truck brakes, braking, steering and suspension systems.
- Possession of a valid Michigan driver's license and operable, insured automobile for authorized travel
- Possession of a current Michigan Commercial Driver’s License and appropriate endorsements (Class A or B with air brake endorsement) within one (1) year of hire date **
- Must possess own tools
Preferred License or Certifications
- Certified Welder (CW) through the American Welding Society (AWS)
- Possession of a current Michigan Commercial Driver’s License and appropriate endorsements (Class A or B with air brake endorsement)
** It will be the employees responsibility to obtain their CDL Permit, pass a DOT physical, receive their DOT medical card and complete the Entry Level Driver Training Program at their expense prior to the Department of Roads paying for the CDL B driving course.
COMPETENCIES FOR SUCCESSFUL PERFORMANCE OF JOB DUTIES
- The use of a variety of diagnostic testing and tuning equipment
- A variety of welding functions
- Standard practices and methods of the automotive mechanical trade
- Safety practices
- Routine maintenance checks and adjustments on vehicles and heavy equipment
- Fabrication, construction and repair welding of all types of equipment
- Determining the appropriate welding equipment or welding method based on repair requirements
- Mechanical and computer electronic controls, air brake systems, transmissions, computer controlled automatic transmissions, electrical repairs, exhaust and emission control systems, heating and air conditioning, hydraulics, steering and suspension systems
- Troubleshooting breakdowns
- Work in an environment which embraces the county’s Dignity Campaign
- Effectively speak, write and understand the English language
- Effectively speak, write and understand a language other than English is preferred
- Understand and carry out oral and/or written instructions
- Accurately organize and maintain paper documents and electronic files
- Maintain the confidentiality of information and professional boundaries
- Work independently
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with elected officials, Administrators, Department Heads, staff, union officials and the public
- Conduct oneself with tact and courtesy