As part of our total benefit package, Macomb County proudly offers medical, dental, and vision coverage, with no monthly premium to employees for single, two (2) person or family coverage. Health care, dental and vision benefits are effective the first day of employment.
To learn more about Macomb County benefits click here
Classification Title: Chief of Staff
Department: Community Mental Health
Hiring Authority: Chief Executive Officer
FLSA Status: Exempt
Employment Relationship: At-Will
Under direction of the Macomb County Community Mental Health (MCCMH) Chief Executive Officer and in collaboration with the Macomb County Human Resources and Labor Relations Department, manages the acquisition of all MCCMH team members and payroll operations. Oversees resources to create a workforce environment and organization that embraces MCCMH’s Core Values of collaboration, accountability, and respect.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
As a member of the executive staff, contributes to strategic planning and the organizational development functions of MCCMH.
Represents MCCMH management to ensure compliance with labor contracts and the management of employees, temporary, and contractual staff.
Evaluates the necessity for professional support contractors within MCCMH administration.
Develops, tracks, and ensures continuous process improvement for talent engagement activities.
Supervises front line and administrative staff for the Talent Engagement department.
Develops management and organization plans to define responsibilities and agency activities consistent with county, Prepaid Inpatient Health Plans (PIHPs), and Community Mental Health Services Programs (CMHSPs) goals and objectives.
Provides direction for the full life cycle of employees and contract team members including the recruitment, development, engagement, and accountability of team members.
Assists in the negotiation of professional service contracts.
Oversees the personnel practices and policies to ensure compliance with Macomb County, contractors, and other applicable rules and regulations.
Oversees performance appraisals as well as reviews and assists in the resolution of team member concerns.
Evaluates the necessity for professional support contractors within MCCMH administration and assigns contractors to various administrative roles to ensure compliance with administrative responsibilities through its contract with Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS).
Responsible for staff relations and development.
Designs and oversees the implementation of time-based cost allocation payroll for employees and contract team members.
Prepares and presents operational and payroll reports in various meetings and committees, as well as for the Chief Executive Officer and leadership team.
Oversees dignity, equality, and inclusion activities.
Works with MCCMH administration to budget and track financial operations to ensure realization of fiscal staffing plan.
Acts as liaison to partner with union representatives on the enhancement of the workforce environment and department level grievance resolutions.
Staffs the Personnel Committee of the MCCMH Board of Directors.
Performs related duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Human Services, Business Management, Public Administration or related from an accredited college or university
- Five (5) years of experience in talent engagement and payroll management
- Three (3) years of experience in staff supervision and management
Preferred Education and Experience
- Five (5) years of experience in the full life cycle of talent engagement including the recruitment, selection, onboarding, payroll, continued engagement, and performance management
- Experience working in a government setting
- Five (5) years of experience in staff supervision and management
- Experience supervising in a union environment
Required Licenses or Certifications
- Possession of a valid Michigan driver’s license and operable, insured automobile for authorized travel
Preferred Licenses or Certifications
- Workforce certifications, such as, SHRM–CP, SHRM-SCP or other career development or related certifications
COMPETENCIES FOR SUCCESSFUL PERFORMANCE OF JOB DUTIES
- Applicable computer applications
- General labor laws and fiscal management practices
- Prepaid Inpatient Health Plan (PIHP) and Community Mental Health Services Programs (CMHSP) goals and objectives
- Employee engagement activities and best practices
- Payroll processing and operations
- Assigning, prioritizing, monitoring, and reviewing work assignments
- Using good professional judgment and initiative
- Labor relations, payroll management, and human resource practices
- Fiscal and payroll reconciliation
- Excellent written and oral presentation skills
- Analyzing information and completing reports
- Provide excellent customer service
- Microsoft products including Word and Excel
- Be collaborative: Approaches all situations with a teamwork and solution focused mindset demonstrated through active participation in meetings, volunteering to assist teammates and other departments as appropriate. Examples include participation in internal and external committees, subcommittees, process improvement groups or other multi-organizational initiatives
- Be accountable: Takes ownership and empowers others to do the same as evidenced by identifying solutions and acting on job responsibilities and organizational objectives, daily
- Be respectful: Treats people with dignity while honoring individual differences demonstrated through use of positive and encouraging statements and/or interactions to, about and/or with colleagues and persons served; evidenced by supervisor observation, feedback from other department staff and leadership
- Think strategically and analytically while developing solutions to identified issues.
- Work in environment which embraces the county’s Dignity Campaign
- Effectively speak, write, and understand the English
- Effectively speak, write, and understand a language other than English is preferred
- Understand and carry out oral and/or written instructions
- Accurately organize and maintain paper documents and electronic files
- Maintain the confidentiality of information
- Work independently