DEPARTMENT: Department of Roads
HIRING AUTHORITY: Director
F.L.S.A. STATUS: Non-exempt/Overtime pursuant to Collective Bargaining Agreement or Human Resources and Labor Relations Policy
PAY GRADE: H
EMPLOYMENT RELATIONSHIP: Just cause subject to probationary period
CURRENT HOURS AND STARTING TIME: Full-time (40 hours per week) position. The starting time for this position is currently 7:00 a.m. Weekend and evening hours as needed.
Under direction, is responsible for proper operation of the electro-mechanical, electrical and electronic devises associated with road construction; installs, maintains, repairs, erects and lays out all devices, and associated equipment including poles, overhead / underground installations related to the operations of the electrical department; acts as field supervisor of various projects.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Installs, services and maintains traffic signals.
Installs, modifies and repairs wiring, electrical fixtures, apparatuses and control equipment.
Modifies electrical installations to minimize waste of materials, provides access for future maintenance, consistent with specifications and local electrical codes.
Follows diagrams and/or blueprints, insuring that concealed wiring is installed before completion of future walls, ceilings and flooring.
Makes standard computations relating to load requirements of wiring or electrical equipment.
Measures, cuts, bends, threads, assembles, pulls and installs electrical conduit.
Splices wires by stripping insulation from terminal leads, twisting or soldering wires together and applying tape or terminal caps.
Connects wiring to lighting fixtures and power equipment.
Installs control and distribution apparatuses such as switches, relays and circuit-breaker panels.
Connects power cables to equipment and installs grounding leads.
Tests continuity of circuit to insure electrical compatibility and safety of components.
Maintains emergency generators, lift stations and other electrical equipment and systems.
Makes routine inspections of installed equipment and/or systems to detect hazards and need for adjustments, relocation or replacement.
Performs emergency service and preventative maintenance on all electrical equipment and systems.
Operates and drives various truck mounted aerial lift devices.
Erects scaffolding or sets up ladders necessary for performing tasks above ground level.
Operates a snow plow truck with underbody blade, front plow and salt spreader insert for winter maintenance.
Required to participate in call rotation as assigned by the Electrical Supervisor.
Required to participate in random drug and alcohol screens.
Performs related duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
- Possession of a high school diploma or a certificate of successful completion of the General Educational Development Test (GED)
- A minimum of four (4) years electrical experience
Preferred Education and Experience
- Traffic signal experience
- Electrical road experience
Required Licenses or Certifications
- Must obtain a full Class A or B Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) within three (3) months of hire date, at employee’s expense
- Possession of a valid Michigan driver’s license and an operable insured automobile for authorized travel
- Journeyman Electrician License
Preferred Licenses or Certifications
- Class A or B Commercial Driver’s License (CDL)
- 100 Foot Pole Certification
COMPETENCIES FOR SUCCESSFUL PERFORMANCE OF JOB DUTIES
- Electrical installations to minimize waste of materials, provides access for future maintenance, consistent with specifications and local electrical codes
- How to follow diagrams and/or blueprints, insuring that concealed wiring is installed before completion of future walls, ceilings and flooring
- Raise, lower, or position equipment, tools, and materials, using hoist, hand line, or block and tackle
- Measuring, cutting, bending, threading, assembling, pulling and installing electrical conduit
- Maintaining emergency generators, lift stations and other electrical equipment and systems
- Transport tools, material, equipment, and supplies to work site by hand, truck, or heavy motorized truck
- Make standard computations relating to load requirements of wiring or electrical equipment
- Effectively speak, write and understand the English language
- Effectively speak, write and understand a language other than English is preferred
- Understand and carry out oral and/or written instructions
- Accurately organize and maintain paper documents and electronic files
- Maintain the confidentiality of information
- Work independently