Position Title: Infant/Toddler Educator (ITE)
Classifications: HS 01-04 ($16.14 - $17.21- $18.21 - *$19.33)
Hours: 40/week Work Weeks: 52/year
Supervisor: ____Lead Infant/Toddler Educator_ __
Essential Function of the Job
Under the direction of the Lead Infant/Toddler Educator (LITE), the Infant/Toddler Educator (ITE) works collaboratively with the LITE to ensure the implementation of the Early Head Start program in accordance with the Head Start Program Performance Standards and Child Day Care Licensing Requirements.
Examples of Work
(Any one position may not include all of the duties listed, nor do the listed examples include all tasks which may be found in the position of this class.)
- Provide a safe, healthy, and organized environment for children through daily monitoring of activities and maintenance of the classroom environment.
- Review and evaluate child outcomes reports from MyTeachingStrategies® and use data to develop individual child and classroom goals.
- Familiarize and follow all policies, procedures, and requirements as set forth in Head Start Program Performance Standards, Child Day Care Licensing, and Foundations for Quality.
- Collaborate with the Practice-Based Coaching team to implement teaching practices that lead to positive outcomes for children.
- Conduct and monitor ongoing child screening and assessment activities with accuracy and timeliness.
- Fully participate in various monitoring activities, visits, and review sessions, as directed.
- Actively implement behavior management strategies as outlined by the LITE.
- Participate in planning, conducting, and documentation of home visits and parent-teacher conferences.
- Share child outcomes with parents, as scheduled, and evaluate using goals.
- Support Family Service staff in achieving family engagement outcomes as promoted by the Office of Head Start, actively promoting and supporting parents as their children’s first and most important teacher.
- Generate required in kind and complete necessary documentation as required.
- Communicate positively with children, parents, volunteers and staff in verbal and non-verbal interactions.
- Evaluate daily activities with the LITE and modify when needed.
- Recruit, coordinate, and encourage parents and other volunteers to be involved in the program and create a feeling of respect and comfort within the program.
- Attend and assist with Parent Committees and Events as assigned by management staff.
- Complete and submit all necessary and required information in a timely manner.
- Notify Supervisor in advance if unable to work and is responsible for obtaining a substitute.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Requirements of Work
- Experience working with young children, including infants and toddlers.
- Ability to plan and follow through.
- Ability to effectively monitor an infant/toddler classroom.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- A demonstrated ability to interact positively with parents and children in a non-judgmental way.
- An initial health examination (that includes screening for tuberculosis) and a periodic re-examination (as recommended by a health care provider or as mandated by State or local laws).
- Absence of exclusionary findings on a Comprehensive Criminal History Check.
- A valid Michigan driver’s license and satisfactory driving history.
- Capability to lift and carry up to 40 pounds.
Required Minimum Training and Experience
- Associates Degree in Early Childhood Education or Child Development, a Child Development Associate Credential (CDA) for Infant/Toddler or an Associate’s Degree in a related Human Services field with 12 semester hours in Early Childhood Education or Child Development.
- Three (3) semester hours or 4.5 CEUs in Infant/Toddler Development and Care Practices.
- Successful completion of all training topics, as required by Child Day Care Licensing, within specified timeframes.
- Completion of 16 clock hours of professional development training, annually.
* To be eligible for H.S. 04 level, you must have a bachelor’s degree or higher in a field related to your position.