The Instructional Designer is a full-time position that provides long-term and day-to-day management of the College's online and distance learning courses and programs, Learning Management System (LMS) support for all faculty and students, and professional development support to all Faculty and Adjunct Faculty. The salary range for this position is $58,227 – $74,107. Additionally, the Designer is responsible for all online, website, and multimedia accessibility. The Designer reports to the Vice President of Academic Services and works collaboratively with the Vice President of Student Services and Athletics, Marketing, and Information Technology services. The Designer is responsible for ensuring that the quality of the online courses at Gogebic Community College is strong and is consistent with the rigor and scope of face-to-face offerings. The Designer is responsible for ensuring that all accreditation and regulatory requirements for online and distance learning are met with an emphasis on certifying that all online instructional material and marketing material is accessible.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Assist faculty and related administrators to implement effective pedagogies, technologies, and methodologies in respective programs to promote student engagement and success.
• Provide strategic direction for online and distance learning commensurate with industry best practices.
• Lead efforts to design, maintain, and support learning spaces with technology for distance learning, while collaborating with faculty and IT staff to ensure an optimal user experience.
• Design, develop, and deliver online and distance learning training to faculty and staff in the use of instructional technologies and educational best practices, instructional resources, instructional technologies, and multimedia hardware/software to support teaching and learning.
• Research and utilize the most up-to-date practices and technologies related to instructional design and online or distance learning applications.
• Enhance student services for on-ground, online and distance learning students.
• Ensure the smooth operation of services for online and distance learning students.
• Coordinate with the Learning Resource Center, including assisting with online research.
• Provide leadership and direct support for faculty and students regarding all instructional technology: Learning Management System and Plugins, Cloud Storage and Video Editing, Zoom Conferencing for Instruction, Digital Resources such as eBooks and Subscriptions, Learning Resource Center Software, and all future instructional technology integrations.
• Optimizing online, on-ground, and hybrid course scheduling to fit with necessary technology and guided pathways for student success.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree required from a U.S. Department of Education regionally accredited college or university.
• Experience in instructional design and working with online content.
• Experience in training and presenting with faculty, adjuncts, staff, and students.
• Online teaching experience.
• Experience developing Online courses and curriculum.
• Knowledge of Learning Management Systems.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee may need to file, handle, and transport physical materials, such as paperwork, books, or tech equipment. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in indoor conditions and regularly works near a video display. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Don’t just work here... Live here.
About Our College:
Gogebic Community College is more than a place to work. It’s a place to be.
As an Aspen Award finalist and the premier provider of quality two-year education in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, Gogebic employs a community college approach in delivering university-level quality.
Gogebic supports more than 1,000 students with small class sizes and an outcome-focused philosophy.
Gogebic Community College’s “Go BOLD” motto prescribes a dynamic environment in which students and employees alike are supported as they do great work, live adventurous lives, and build extraordinary futures.
About Our Region:
A few miles north of ordinary lies the Upper Peninsula’s Gogebic region.
Amid nearly a million acres of natural beauty in the Ottawa National Forest, Gogebic is a wonderland for work and a paradise for play. Our dazzling region, known for world-class fishing, hiking, skiing, biking, snowmobiling and outdoor adventuring, represents one of Michigan’s last unspoiled gems.
A Bold Place to Work…
Gogebic is more than a community college… It’s a college community—known for supportive
leadership and dynamic, down-to-earth employees.
A community institution at the heart of our region’s workforce, the College and its graduates uplift not only local economies, but those throughout Michigan, and beyond.
Combining high standards with a “serving the top 100%” approach, Gogebic Community College is a place to make a stand for your career…and make a difference in the lives of students.
A Bold Place to Ski…
Gogebic Community College is the only college in the United States hosting an on-campus ski resort. Home to GCC’s nationally renowned Ski Area Management program, the Mt. Zion Recreational Complex is a professionally managed and maintained public ski facility featuring a state-of-the-art lift and 300 feet of vertical.
A Bold Place to Be…
The Gogebic region provides a stunning, million-acre backdrop on which to explore adventure, connect with nature, and discover yourself.
Located four hours from the Twin Cities and six hours from Chicago, Gogebic residents get the best of both worlds: small-town connectedness, with access to big-city culture.
Local hiking, biking, skiing, and snowboarding trails include the North Country Trail and the famed 1,200-mile Iron Belle Trail, as well as routes traversing Black River Harbor, the Porcupine Mountains, Sylvania wilderness, and the Ottawa National Forest.
With a persistent economy driven by a mix of construction, manufacturing, tourism, transportation and retail, the region boasts a stable workforce, with skilled positions paying living wages.
Gogebic Community College is a learning community that contributes to academic, cultural, economic, and social success for our students and region.