Position Title: Grounds Maintenance
Bargaining Unit: Grand Rapids Educational Support Professionals Association (GRESPA)
Pay Rate: Determined by the collective bargaining agreement
Earning Days: Determined by the negotiated calendar
GRPS MISSION: Our mission is to ensure that all students are educated, self-directed and productive members of society.
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The Grounds Maintenance position is a member of the Operations Department and reports directly to the Head Grounds Person and indirectly to the Secondary Operations Supervisor. The position is responsible for grounds care district wide.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Essential functions under the Americans with Disabilities Act may include any of the following duties, knowledge and skills. This list is illustrative only and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by employees in this position. Regular attendance is an essential function of this job. Other essential functions may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Contribute to the TEAM EFFORT as outlined through the district strategic plan, the district mission statement, and the Operations Department mission statements
- Cooperate and communicate with building Administrator and his/her staff and with the Operations Team to properly maintain the sites in a sanitary, safe and functional condition
- Perform daily seasonal grounds tasks and periodic seasonal grounds tasks as required. Items included but not limited to snow shoveling and plowing, lawn and trim mowing, pruning, landscaping, tree work, parking lot repairs
- Perform general custodial tasks inside any district building as required
- Properly operate and maintain various types of departmental cleaning and grounds equipment including but not limited to hand scrubbers, vacuum cleaners, lawn mowers, weed eaters, chain saws, etc.
- Perform basic maintenance on grounds equipment, including but not limited to oil changes, belt adjustments and replacement, blade sharpening, daily checking and replacement of vehicle fluids levels, fuel filter replacement, hydraulic hose replacement, etc.
- Respond to seasonal inclement weather conditions when required
- Properly stored tools, equipment and supplies
- Maintain minimal time away from the job by adhering to the established attendance-monitoring program
- Must be able to work varied shifts as required based on weather conditions and emergencies
- Maintain accurate records, including but not limited to personal payroll hours and accumulated leave time, equipment operation, etc.
- Interact with co-workers, supervisors and other customers in cooperative, positive and supportive ways
- Any other duties as assigned
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of cleaning methodology.
- Demonstrated knowledge of basic care of powered equipment.
- Demonstrated good attendance and punctuality.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a diverse environment.
- Demonstrated ability to participate as a member of the team.
The physical demands, work environment factors, and mental functions described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, talk, hear (in a quiet or noisy environment). The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust/focus.
The noise level in the work environment is usually loud to moderate. Work is performed outdoors although there will be required indoor activities.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to compare, analyze, communicate both orally and in writing, copy, coordinate, instruct, compute, synthesize, evaluate, use interpersonal skills, compile and negotiate.
METHOD OF APPLICATION:
Grand Rapids Public Schools manages employment applications online. Applications must be completed online at https://grps.tedk12.com/hire/. No hardcopy applications/resumes will be accepted for this position. Computer terminals are available in the GRPS Franklin Campus lobby from 8:00am – 4:00pm, Monday-Friday, for applicant use (Monday – Thursday during the summer).
The Grand Rapids Public Schools will not discriminate against any person based on race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, height, weight, color, religion, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, disability or veteran status.
Americans with Disabilities Act accommodations:
Assistance with the application process may be requested through the Human Resources Department at 616 819-2022 or email@example.com