JOB TITLE: Production Supervisor
LOCATION: Greenville, MI
REPORTS TO: Plant Superintendent
This position is responsible for supervising production employees to ensure quality, safety and efficiency in the operations of milk intake/outload, handling/storage and processing, in accordance with company policies and procedures.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice. The essential functions of this job include, but are not limited to:
- Supervising production associates in an appropriate manner regarding all aspects of production activities, including, prioritizing duties, delegating work assignments, and scheduling employees to ensure employee safety, optimize all production, food safety and sanitation functions.
- Ensuring all quality standards and procedures are maintained, including ensuring all quality procedures, GMPs, environmental sanitation and housekeeping standards are met.
- Participating on cross-functional teams to build a culture of operational excellence and innovation in the areas of processing, methods, productivity, Good Manufacturing Practices, safety and quality.
- Overseeing the appropriate training of new and present employees in the processes and methods required to achieve Foremost Farms' standards for quality, quantity, and safety.
- Coordinating special plant-wide functions such as production planning and/or scheduling, sanitation, safety, etc., as assigned.
- Overseeing and coordinating activities of the environmental sanitation programs in compliance with state and federal regulations and Foremost Farms' requirements during assigned shift.
- Assisting in regulatory inspections and customer audits as needed.
- Maintaining and controlling departmental supplies, tools and equipment as needed.
- Ensuring the completion of all required production recordkeeping including, appropriate ERP data, inventory, inspection, sanitation reports, processing/CIP charts and maintenance work orders.
- Coordinating all shift activities to ensure maximum efficiency of production and sanitation functions, including coordinating with the proceeding/following shifts to ensure a smooth and efficient transition between shifts.
- Coordinating and schedule production, shipping, receiving, etc.
- Participating in supervisory, safety and quality meetings and programs.
- Evaluating processes and methods, to make appropriate recommendations to continuously improve methods, equipment performance, utilization of people, and quality of product and safety objectives.
- Acting as a technical resource to address and resolve inquiries and problems regarding production, quality and work problems as appropriate.
- Administrating related company policies and procedures, including OSHA regulations and other safety activities.
- Being actively involved in safety efforts including, attending safety meetings, incident investigations, assisting in root cause analysis, auditing, as assigned.
- Providing back up support to other supervisors, quality, lab testing and plant employees as needed.
- Regular and punctual attendance and physical presence in the workplace.
- Timely and accurate completion of duties.
- Occasional travel for work, up to 33% of the time.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES: The following are required competencies of the position that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job:
- Computer Skills: Ability to operate all information technology related business systems, programs and applications in a manner that achieves efficiency, accuracy, and relevancy of information processing and reporting as it applies to this position. Must have intermediate level knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Language Skills: Ability to read and interpret documents such as dictated letters or memoranda, invoices, company policies and various documentation. Ability to process routine reports and correspondences. Ability to communicate effectively with employees and applicants of the organization. Ability to effectively present information to employees of the organization.
- Mathematical Skills: Ability to correctly add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to correctly compute rate, ratio, and percent.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Other Skills & Abilities: Requires the ability to operate a variety of standard business machines. Must have the ability to drive a motor vehicle and maintain a valid driver's license. Must have strong leadership and mentoring skills. Must have basic level of lean manufacturing /Six Sigma program knowledge. Must be able to obtain appropriate regulatory certifications and licenses, including intake/sampler's certification, pasteurizer operator's certification, and wastewater treatment plant operator certification, as needed.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical Demands - Employee is frequently (more than 75% of time) required to: use hands to finger, handle, or touch objects, tools, or controls, sit; to verbally communicate; and to hear. The employee is occasionally (up to 33% of the time) required to walk and stand. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally (up to 33% of the time) lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work Environment - Employee is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne participles. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Protective Equipment - Protective equipment, such as hearing protection, bump cap, safety foot ware, hair net and food safety related PPE or garb is required.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
This position requires an Associate Degree in dairy manufacturing or related field of study and three to five years of job-related experience. The preferred education and experience is a Bachelor Degree in dairy manufacturing or related field of study, knowledge related to the job and three to five years of job-related experience.
This position directly supervises assigned production employees. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems; proper administration of the hourly employee handbook.
It is the policy of Foremost Farms USA to provide equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disabilities, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law.
Foremost Farms USA, headquartered in Baraboo, Wis., is a world class supplier of cheese, dairy products, and ingredients to national and international markets. As a dairy cooperative, we are owned by the 1,100 dairy farmers who supply our high-quality milk. Our flexible, diverse plant network allows us to manufacture products and ingredients that are most in-demand - and provide a strong, secure market for our member-owners' milk.
We're looking for employees who challenge the status quo, innovate and aim for excellence. Because we're working to be the world's best - to Be Foremost - we'll bring out the best in you.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disabled are encouraged to apply.
Successful completion of pre-employment testing is required, which could include a drug test, physical, audiogram, background check, education check and credit check.