JOB TITLE: Saw Operator
FLSA: Plant Non Exempt
REPORTS TO: Metal Fabrication Department
DATE: July 8, 2021
This position is responsible for accurately measuring and cutting steel components used in the production of trash compactors. Operator will checks and confirms work in accordance with job specifications, procedures, quality standards and checklists.
- Ensure cleanliness and pleasant atmosphere of work area at all times
- Must fully utilize all safety equipment, ensuring proper lifting, bending and carrying techniques are adhered to
- Understand all machinery used , operate and tend saws to cut steel making adjustments as necessary.
- Count, sort and stack finished work pieces and dispose of waste material.
- Replace defective or worn blades and bands.
- Maintain a clean and organized work environment.
- Identify maintenance and safety issues and take the correct steps to correct them. Safe operation of all equipment.
- Must be honest, dependable and forthright, with the ability to confidently work without direct supervision
- Maintain a positive attitude always be willing to lend a helping hand wherever needed
- Must be flexible - willing to work a varied schedule
- Know and comply with all company policies and procedures regarding safety, security, emergencies and energy
- Detail oriented, with the ability to work in a fast paced environment
- Report to work on time
- Other duties as assigned
- Must have high school diploma or GED
- Ability to read, write and do simple math
- Ability to accurately read tape measure
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints and bills of material
- Strong communication skills are required with the ability to carry out verbal and written instructions.
- Capable of operating hand tools, drills, saws, sanders/grinders, fork lift, crane/winches, ladder, hand truck and other machinery/equipment as required.
- Need to wear proper safety equipment to comply with the companies safety policies.
- Able to work in a team environment
- Follow safe operating and lifting procedures for overhead cranes
- Physical and visual acuity at a level to effectively perform duties. Be able to stand for long periods of time, sit, bend, squat and kneel. Be able to push or pull at least 50 pounds and be able to safely lift at least 40 pounds.
- Ability to obtain a fork lift license and operate according to safe operating procedures
- The ability to work well independently and possess self-motivation to get the job done.
- Trustworthiness and reliability (must be ready to start work at the time shift begins and work diligently under minimal supervision)
- The willingness to assist other departments as necessary based on workflows
- Strong work ethic and attention to detail
The work is performed in a manufacturing environment which contains dust and material particles in the air. The noise level is medium to load, and may require the use of hearing protection.