JOB TITLE: Paint Prep
FLSA: Plant Non Exempt
REPORTS TO: Metal Fabrication Department
Prepare parts and equipment for paint to include cleaning and degreasing, operating glove box type blast equipment, hand sanding and sanding with power sanders/grinders. Protect unpainted surfaces by masking. Utilize chemicals safely to prepare items for paint. Assist in facility upkeep. The employee is flexible, willing to help out wherever needed, and committed to delivering the highest quality of work possible.
- Ensure cleanliness and pleasant atmosphere of work area at all times
- Prepare work orders with all pertinent information and process work orders to completion. Metal meets pre-paint specifications.
- Must fully utilize all safety equipment, ensuring proper lifting, bending and carrying techniques are adhered to
- Understand all machinery and chemicals used
- Be aware of MSDS sheets and books and read and use this information when necessary
- Identify maintenance and safety issues and take the correct steps to correct them. Safe operation of all equipment.
- Must be honest, dependable and forthright, with the ability to confidently work without direct supervision
- Maintain a positive attitude always be willing to lend a helping hand wherever needed
- Must be flexible - willing to work a varied schedule
- Know and comply with all company policies and procedures regarding safety, security, emergencies and energy
- Must be able to work physically hard, able to deal with constant lifting, bending, reaching, crawling, climbing and balance while working on ladders.
- Detail oriented, with the ability to work in a fast paced environment
- Report to work on time
- Other duties as assigned
- Strong communication skills are required
- Capable of operating hand tools, drills, saws, sanders/grinders, fork lift, crane/winches, ladder , hand truck and other machinery/equipment as required.
- Capable of using basic hand tools, power sanders/grinders and other small power tools associated with body and prep work prior to painting operations.
- need to wear proper safety equipment to comply with the companies safety policies.
- Able to work in a team environment
- Keep prep area picked up and free of steel and tools, sweeping daily
- Follow safe operating and lifting procedures for overhead cranes
- Ability to obtain a fork lift license and operate according to safe operating procedures
- The ability to work well independently and possess self-motivation to get the job done.
- Trustworthiness and reliability (must be ready to start work at the time shift begins and work diligently under minimal supervision)
- The willingness to assist other departments as necessary based on workflows
- Strong work ethic and attention to detail