Position Available: Network Engineer
Location: Muskegon, MI
Hours: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. or approved alternative work schedule
Reports to: Director IT (Europe)
Qualification 1: Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) or equivalent from a four-year college or technical school in computer science or computer information systems.
Qualification 2: 5+ years helpdesk related experience, including two or more years in a Network support/ administration capacity.
Qualification 3: Or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Qualification 4: CISCO certification desired.
Qualification 5: Requires a working knowledge of networking technologies that include: IPSEC tunneling, EIGRP, GRE, Cisco IOS, QOS, Packetshaping, WAN acceleration, Routing/Switching configuration, Cisco Firewall and VPN solutions; load balancing solutions; DNS/DHCP; Network Monitoring; AYAYA PBX; VOIP; videoconferencing; and telecommunications.
Qualification 6: Knowledge of physical network cabling technologies, data communications software/hardware and protocols such as MPLS, ISDN, Frame Relay, SNA, TCP/IP and SNMP.
Qualification 7: Requires strong communication skills for interactions with Customers and Peers. Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization.
Qualification 8: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Qualification 9: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Qualification 10: MS Office Suite, e-mail, MS Active Directory, Mobile Devices, skills in supporting PC, Mobile and Network connectivity.
Summary of Job Duties:
The Network Engineer focuses on configuring and installing various network devices and services across all SAF-HOLLAND locations globally. This includes LAN, WAN, VOIP, VPN, firewall, telecommunications, and the network infrastructure that supports end-user access and communication to software applications and databases at multiple sites and datacenters (both on premise and in the cloud). Performing network maintenance and system upgrades including service packs, patches, hot fixes and security configurations. Assists the Network Systems Architect with the network design, planning, and implementation of systems for future growth to meet business needs in a cost effective manner. Achieves continuous operations through support, high uptime, and a redundant/fault-tolerant architecture.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES Include the following: Other duties may be assigned. In each of the duties listed below the employee is expected to perform to the highest standards of quality, to strive for maximum customer satisfaction, and to continually look for ways to improve the methods, practices and procedures of this position:
- Participates in the evaluation, installation, configuration, implementation and maintenance of network hardware, software, tools, and carrier networks (including: MPLS, Internet, Voice, or other).
- Coordinates the placement of communications hardware such as controllers, servers, routers, hubs and modems at SAF-HOLLAND locations. Designs and deploys enterprise wireless networks including access points, servers, routers, hubs, switches and other hardware. Conducts or subcontracts site surveys to determine optimal locations for wireless access points. Monitors WLAN performance and troubleshoots problem areas as needed. Ensures required levels of network and communications systems performance and availability are met.
- Participates in the evaluation, design and implementation of Global PBX, VOIP, video conference, and other communications systems.
- Participates in change management (ITIL) processes for all network changes, including: equipment moves, upgrades and ongoing maintenance, and configuration.
- Monitors bandwidth usage and makes recommendations for increases, upgrades, or changes.
- Responsible for monitoring, testing and troubleshooting network systems problems; leveraging both internal and external resources.
- Maintains continuous 24x7x365 network and communications operations through redundant paths, redundant equipment, and utilization of internal and external resources. Assures coverage at all times.
- Establishes, manages and maintains outside vendor relationships for hardware, software and service procurement.
- Ensures all network connections and communications are secure.
- Plans and implements timely upgrades, maintenance fixes and vendor-supplied patches for network systems (hardware or software).
- Manages all network security solutions, including: patch management with interim remediation, firewalls, intrusion detection and prevention.
- Manages network certificates and DNS configuration.
- Works with IT team to insure all mobile device connections are secure.
- Participates in Disaster Recovery planning and practices as required.
- Develops and maintains network architecture and troubleshooting documentation, user documentation for systems (like VPN), and technical standards, procedures and techniques for problem resolution to ensure maximum system availability and performance levels.
- Maintains current knowledge of industry trends and best practices within Information Technology; remains current with new technologies and network methodologies and protocols.
- Works with System Engineers and Desktop Engineers to assure a high-performing and secure network for the Virtual Server and Virtual Desktop environments.
- Works with System Engineers, Web developers and Digital Architect to assure high performing and secure web applications, web sites, and mobile applications.
- Researches and recommends new network products, services and standards.
- Manages small to medium sized projects according to agreed upon budgets and schedules; Participates in staff meetings; Reports status of assigned projects; Logs time in approved time-keeping project management system;
- Designs the LAN, Active Directory structure, server configuration, domain, and security with BASIS Administrators.
- Designs WAN, VPN, dial-in, firewall, and Internet architecture with Network Systems Architect.
- Receives project assignments from the Director - Global Infrastructure & Security or designated senior IT staff;