You can make a salary. Or you can make a difference. Or you can work as an Engineer at Herman Miller and make both.
About this Opportunity
As an Engineer, you'll apply basic engineering principles, concepts, theories, and techniques in support of business objectives, in a developing capacity and under direct supervision. Youmay provide fundamental engineering leadership and expertise. You may also conduct feasibility studies, determine manpower and cost estimates, and develop engineering criteria. You'll perform primary analyses to develop design options or recommendations for structures, systems, and components. You may also apply originality, ingenuity, and knowledge of other disciplines in solving basic technical issues. Emphasis in your workwill be placed on team participation, your ability to plan, and yourability to achieve results on assigned projects.
What You'll Do
You'll have opportunities to speak up, solve problems, lead others, and be an owner every day as you . . .
- Take good notes, showing yourwork and assumptions.
- Use originality and ingenuity to apply solutions.
- Apply basic engineering skills to work assignments.
- Apply basic problem-solving skills and execute solutions to basic problems.
- Apply basic supply chain cost, value stream capabilities, and economic principles.
- Complete engineering tasks under the direction of leadership.
- Follow engineering and quality processes.
- Perform additional responsibilities as requested to achieve business objectives.
- Seek and receive mentoring from senior level and engineering leadership.
- Seek approval of the budget owner using the appropriate request process.
- Work under direct supervision. Your workwill bereviewed after completion to evaluate the soundness of judgments involved.
Sound Like You?
You might be just who we're looking for if you have . . .
- An Engineering/Technical degree from an accredited program, or atwo-year Technical degree in a related field withthree years of applicable engineering experience.
- Zero to twoyears of professional engineering experience.
- Exposure to project management concepts (may be essential for some assignments).
- A basic knowledgeof Lean principles and theirapplication.
- The abilityto assess process concepts and determine where continuous improvement opportunities exist.
- The abilityto communicate effectively with people at various levels including Production, Engineering, and management. You'll also need the abilityto work well with and develop a partnering relationship with other team members.
- Basic knowledge in the use of common office automation, communication, software, tools, Herman Miller mainframe applications, and engineering-related software.
- Basic problem-solving skills andthe abilityto apply engineering expertise to solving problems.
- The abilityto effectively react to changing priorities and workflow at the direction of supervisionandthe abilityto anticipate, recognize, and respond effectively to changes which affect project plans.
- An overall basic business sense and an understanding ofhow decisions impact business results.
- The abilityto perform all essential job functions with or without accommodations.
Who We Are
At Herman Miller, our unique culture represents the collective attitudes, ideas, and experiences of the people who work here. We focus on protecting the environment, impacting our communities, exceeding the expectations of our customers through high quality products, and championing diversity in all areas of the business, and together we are on a journey toward a better world. We support the well-being of our employees in and outside of work by providing a variety of opportunities including award-winning work-life integration resources, development programs, complex health and wellness offerings, and much more.
Herman Miller is a globally recognized provider of furnishings and related technologies and services. Headquartered in West Michigan, we have relied on innovative design for over 100 years to solve problems for people wherever they work, live, learn, and heal.
Herman Miller is committed to diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer including veterans and people with disabilities.