The F&B Pastry Chef's responsibilities include directly supporting and enforcing all initiatives given by the Executive Chef as well as overseeing the entire bakery. The F&B Pastry Chef prepares production sheets for bakers, works up recipes for batch desserts, bread, and cake doughs, is fully responsible for all recipe books, Bakery P&L reporting, Team Member training as well as all daily production of bakery items.
Two-year college or technical school required. Certification in pastry or baking field preferred. A combination of education and experience or training may be considered.
Five (5) years of baking experience at a large facility required. Two (2) years of supervisory or management experience required. Proven experience as a pastry chef in a high-volume setting.
Casino or Large hotel experience preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
• Must be 21+ years of age.
• Must be ServSafe certified.
• Ability to communicate effectively with Guests, Team Members, and Management in both written and verbal forms.
• Must manage time effectively with minimum supervision.
• Must be able to obtain all necessary work cards, including, but not limited to a Health Card.
• Adhere to all Company and department policies and procedures as well as "Unsurpassed Service" practices.
• Must be able to work a flexible schedule.
• Must demonstrate sound judgment and mature decision-making.
• Must possess and demonstrate great attention to detail and creativity.
• Comprehensive food knowledge, which includes basic knowledge of profit and loss statements, cost control, menu planning, budgeting, training, inventory control, and sanitation.
• Must have strong knowledge of tracking and maintaining Cost of Sales while in conjunction with creating recipe cards for all styles of cooking bulk, plated, and action.
• Must possess and demonstrate strong leadership skills and abilities that will enhance and exemplify the "Unsurpassed Service" culture.
• Comprehensive computer skills in Microsoft Office systems and requisitioning.
• Must possess working knowledge of baking equipment with ingredient limitations. (gluten-free, sugarless, etc.)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Responsible for practicing, supporting, and promoting Gun Lake Casino's "Unsurpassed Service" standards at all times.
• Practice and observe safety rules and regulations and ensure Team Members reporting to you do so as well. Ensure your areas comply with Board of Health standards and regulations.
• Have knowledge of where your MSDS booklet is located for your department and understand its contents. Ensure Team Members are trained on materials in the book.
• Display knowledge of all emergency procedures.
• Responsible for handling any Team Member or Guest opportunities.
• Evaluate and oversee the job performance of Team Members.
• Set schedules and specific job duties, while maintaining Team Members' hours for proper staffing as defined through established service standards.
• Treat each individual with care, dignity, fairness, respect, and recognition and ensure open door policy in an "Unsurpassed Service" manner.
• Coach and counsel Team Members who are not meeting standards. Understand the steps of discipline according to Gun Lake Casino's policies.
• Conduct group and individual training regarding policies and procedures on an ongoing basis. Set daily, weekly and monthly goals and opportunities and lead the unit to achieve the desired result.
• Communicate on a consistent basis with all managers, keeping them abreast of all department activities.
• Ensure that all Team Members adhere to all policies and procedures as set forth by the Executive Chef.
• Hold daily Team Member Huddles and maintain communication boards to communicate pertinent information to Team Members.
• Assign daily production lists to Team Members; work with Team Members to help them become proficient in their roles.
• Measure and mix ingredients according to the recipe to prepare cakes, cookies, breads, and small French desserts.
• Create new and exciting desserts to renew menus seasonally.
• Monitor stock for baking ingredients such as flour, sugar, etc. and make appropriate orders.
• Have a comprehensive and complete knowledge of all bakery menu items including their preparation, ingredients, cooking methods, portions, and prices.
• Oversee the bakery to ensure requisitioning, production, fabrication, and quality is in strict adherence to Gun Lake Casino's specifications, standards, and guidelines.
• Work closely with the Management team to ensure that all products comply with Gun Lake Casino's specifications and cost controls.
• Responsible for maintaining cleanliness and sanitation standards in accordance with department policies and the Department of Health.
• Ensure that kitchens and equipment are in good working order to ensure a clean and hazard-free work area that complies with the Department of Health, OSHA, and Gun Lake Casino's guidelines. Monitor, work with facilities, document any culinary, and sanitation departments if any area is below standards or not functioning properly.
• All other duties as assigned.
• Requires normal, corrective vision range, the ability to see color, and the ability to distinguish letters, numbers, and symbols.
• Requires normal dexterity to operate job-related equipment.
• Requires the physical ability to stand for long periods of time, walk frequently bend or reach a height of 6 feet with or without assistance.
• Requires a normal sense of smell, taste, hearing, and touch.
• Must be capable of lifting 50 lbs., push 150 to 250 lbs on a pushcart, in/out of walk-ins of -10 degrees to 140 degrees with or without assistance.
Work is typically in an area, which may be unusually hot, cold, noisy, and may contain second-hand smoke. Work may be performed in small areas with a 3 ft. wide access. Tasks performed from a sitting or non-sitting position. Performance of job duties will require standing, walking, lifting, reaching, pushing, pulling, and grasping. These tasks include the maintenance and care of the assigned areas. Work may entail trained chemical usage. Constant contact with fellow Team Members and Guests.
DISCLAIMER AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by persons assigned to this job. These statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required.
All applicants must be able to demonstrate their US work authorization during the employment verification process. The pre-employment process also requires the ability to pass a criminal background investigation, and drug/alcohol test.
The Match-E-Be-Nash-She-Wish Band of Pottawatomi Indians abides by Native American preference in its hiring and employment policies.
Gun Lake Tribal Gaming Authority reserves the right to make changes to the above job description as necessary.