You can make a salary. Or you can make a difference. Or you can work as an Operations Manager at Herman Miller and make both.
About this Opportunity
Our Operations Teams are responsible for all aspectsof manufacturing high quality products in a timely manner to delight our customers. Operations team members play an important role in Herman Miller's success and prepare us to help people do great things. All of our team members work in clean, bright environments that make use of Lean manufacturing principles. These teams share a passion for quality and hold safety as a number one priority.
As an Operations Manager, you'll be responsible for leading, managing, and setting strategy for multiple Operations Work Team Leaders (WTLs)and their teams to achieve operational objectives in areas suchas safety, quality, reliability, cost, continuous improvement, and employee morale. These objectives willalign with and promote the achievement of the Operations and overall business strategy. Your results will be achieved through coaching, leading, and developingWTLs and their teams, as well asthrough effective planning, organizing, implementation, and execution.
What You'll Do
You'll have opportunities to speak up, solve problems, lead others, and be an owner every day as you work in the following areas. . .
- 100% Value: You'll be responsible for championing the continuous improvement processes of Operations by eliminating the seven forms of waste and creating processes that add 100% value to the customer.
- Continuous Improvement: You will champion change by using Kaizen as a tool to improve the organization's capability by utilizing people's skill to solve problems proactively and constantly move towards the ideal situation or true north. You'll be responsible for ensuring that teams are engaging in Kaizen activities everyday to proactively go after problems with a shop floor focus. You will develop and coachWTLs to manage and lead in a problem-solving management structure utilizing Facilitators and disciplined continuous improvement thinking.
- Development: You will be responsible for employee selection and training.You'llalsohelp employees develop new skills that will allow them to increase their contribution to the business and improve the processes of the operation.
- People Are the Most Important Resource
- Professional Challenge/Participation: You'll motivate and involve Production Teams and WTLs in improving processes through creativity, problem-solving, and learning. Thiswill beaccomplished through setting expectations, teaching, encouraging, coaching, and holding employees accountable to utilize standardized work. You'll solicit employees' ideas for improvement and create a work environment where team members are encouraged to take risks and share ideas for improvement. You will also coach WTLs on effectively using leadership skills to drive improvements.
- Pull System: You'll be responsiblefor creating an operation that produces product only to customer demand (Takt time) using one piece flow. You will provide leadership through coaching, providing strategies, and removing barriers for successful implementation.
- Quality: Your responsibilities will include identifying and solving broad problems that impact quality. You will ensure performance and accountability to zero defects. You'll partner with the Customer Service and Corporate Quality Teams to ensure the identification of quality issues and their root causes, as well as to design and implement solutions. You must also manage and monitor compliance to the Herman Miller quality plan and ISO 9000 certification.
- Recognition/Feedback:You willshow appreciation of those individuals and teams that demonstrate outstanding performance which is directly aligned with the company's values. You'll also be responsible for providing timely feedback, including formal performance reviews, performance coaching, and discipline.
- Reliability: You'll ensure 100% on-time delivery of quality products to the customer by providing strategies and removing obstacles.
- Safety: You will ensure a safe working environment for all employees and visitors. You'll be responsible for the team's safety program, implementation, and commitment to 5S principles. You will ensure all safety training and development is completed for all employees, safety policies and procedures are administered, and compliance with all state and federal legislation is achieved. You will also manage and monitor the achievement of corporate and plant environmental goals.
- Shop Floor Focus: You'll be responsible for ensuring that WTLs spend 80 percentof their time directly on the shop floor where the key value added activities take place.
- You will also perform additional responsibilities as requested to achieve business objectives.
Sound Like You?
You might be just who we're looking for if you have . . .
Refer to the Operations WTL Career Ladder for further information such as experience/skills requirements and an illustration of typical supervisory responsibility for this position.
- A Bachelor's degree in Manufacturing or Operations Management, or equivalent professional experience.
- A minimum of eight years of successful supervisory experience (including leading teams, salaried level employees, and multiple departments) in a technical or complex operations environment.
- Demonstrated coaching and change management skills.
- Previous experience in implementing and coaching the Herman Miller Performance System (Lean manufacturing principles and tools) in a multi-shift/team environment.
- The ability to express ideas effectively (verbally and nonverbally).
- Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills and a demonstrated professionalism.
- An aptitude for resolving conflict in a team environment.
- A demonstrated ability to identify and understand issues and make appropriate decisions.
- A proficiencyin ISO quality systems fundamentals and Lean manufacturing principles.
- PC and systems literacy(Excel, Word, andLotus Notes).
- A demonstrated ability to effectively use the office automation, communication, software, and tools currently being used in theHerman Milleroffice environment.
- The abilityto perform all essential functions of the position with or without accommodations.
Critical competencies for this position include: integrity and trust, customer orientation, job knowledge, decisiveness, relationship building, effective communication, systemic thinking, future focused, managing and developing talent, flexibility, innovation, and business knowledge.
Who We Are
At Herman Miller, our unique culture represents the collective attitudes, ideas, and experiences of the people who work here. We focus on protecting the environment, impacting our communities, exceeding the expectations of our customers through high quality products, and championing diversity in all areas of the business, and together we are on a journey toward a better world. We support the well-being of our employees in and outside of work by providing a variety of opportunities including award-winning work-life integration resources, development programs, complex health and wellness offerings, and much more.
Herman Miller is a globally recognized provider of furnishings and related technologies and services. Headquartered in West Michigan, we have relied on innovative design for over 100 years to solve problems for people wherever they work, live, learn, and heal.
Herman Miller is committed to diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer including veterans and people with disabilities.