The Cooker Operator is responsible for the operation of PLC to control the machinery. They must monitor pumps and grinders to ensure quality assurance.
Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
- Always conduct yourself in a safe and controlled manner, following all required safety rules.
- Operate the cooking process within selected parameters.
- Responsible for starting up/shutting down equipment in correct sequence by following procedures.
- Document plant operations per our GMP program.
- Ensure products adhere to Darling's quality standards.
- Notify shift manager of any issues or maintenance problems.
- Communicate effectively with shift lead, Plant Manager, or Maintenance Manager regarding any mechanical or technical issues with any area of the plant.
- Responsible for blowing grease lines as required.
- Responsible for cleaning up, to include but not limited to shoveling the floor, hosing floors and machinery down, using wheelbarrows and PIT's.
- Must ensure that the equipment and work area are clean after each shift.
- Understand, diagnose and assist the shift lead/maintenance with minor equipment
- Monitor feed water, boiler water, water softener and water treatment unit.
- Monitor oil level, gauges, temperatures and mechanical soundness of processing equipment.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Prior work experience involving mechanical aptitude/operating machinery in a manufacturing, industrial, or agricultural environment.
- Experience in a rendering facility or production environment preferred.
- High School diploma or GED preferred.
- Works well with others in a team environment.
- Dependable, reliable; ability to work nights and/or weekends as needed.
- Constantly required to walk, stand, sit, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crawl, and crouch.
- Must be able to stand for 8 hours and work 12 hour shifts occasionally.
- Occasionally lift up to 25 lbs.
- Regularly required reach with hands and arms.
- The ability to work 40-60 hours per week.
Must be able to work in a hot or cold environment (100 degrees F to 45 degrees F); occasional outside work in all 4 seasons. Be able to handle odors associated with animal by-products.