About this Opportunity
Our Operations Teams are responsible for all aspectsof manufacturing high quality products in a timely manner to delight our customers. Operations team members play an important role in Herman Miller's success and prepare us to help people do great things. All of our team members work in clean, bright environments that make use of Lean manufacturing principles. These teams share a passion for quality and hold safety as a number one priority.
As a Machine Operator, you'll perform multiple processes using a variety of equipment in a manufacturing setting, depending upon department processes. You will produce a high quality product delivered in a timely manner to satisfy customers. You'll solve problems with the assistance of other team members and seek continuous improvement. All of your work will be completed with a high regard for the safety of others and yourself. You'll also learn via cross-training in other departments.
What You'll Do
You'll have opportunities to speak up, solve problems, lead others, and be an owner every day asyou...
- Calculate and derive dimensional information from all types of dimensional drawings.
- Commit to meeting overtime requirements.
- Complete required paperwork correctly to ensure record accuracy.
- Consistently perform Statistical Process Control (SPC)/quality checks by utilizing measurement tools and devices.
- Consistently perform to Standard Work Instructions at each process and request changes when needed.
- Employ flexibility to meet team, department, and plant goals.
- Know and practice corporate, plant, and department safety guidelines.
- Know and practice quality requirements according to specified quality criteria.
- Maintain aclean, safe working environment according to 5S and department safety guidelines.
- Participate in Herman Miller Performance System (HMPS) improvement activities within current department or other departments.
- Perform a minimum of 75 percentof the jobs in the department at the required rate (cycle time).
- Perform additional responsibilities as requested to achieve business objectives.
- Perform multiple activities using various processes and equipment, routinely or when called upon, according to department needs.
- Read and understand routings and drawings to produce parts to quality expectations.
- Rotate through department work stations based on business need.
- Set up, load, and operate manufacturing equipment.
Sound Like You?
You might be just who we're looking for if you have...
- A high school diploma or equivalent (GED),or work experience which demonstrates performance competency.
- Experience operating machinery in a manufacturing environment.
- The ability to access and use information system databases.
- Competency in basic math skills, such as adding and subtracting. Additional math skills may be needed depending on department processes, such as GDT (Geometric Dimensional Tolerances).
- The ability to use required measuring tools such as calipers, gauges, tape measures, etc.
- The ability to read, understand, communicate, and interpret written and verbal instructions, work documentation, policies, practices, etc., in the English language.
- The ability to bend, twist, and stand for periods up to 10 to 12 hours.
- The ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- The ability to read drawings.
- A willingness to be flexible with work assignments and possible hours as business needs require.
- The ability to work cooperatively within the team, as well as with members of other teams to meet goals.
- A commitment to team success through reliable attendance.
- A willingness to work and influence others in a continually changing environment.
- The abilityto perform all essential job functions of the position with or withoutaccommodations.
Who We Are
At Herman Miller, our unique culture represents the collective attitudes, ideas, and experiences of the people who work here. We focus on protecting the environment, impacting our communities, exceeding the expectations of our customers through high quality products, and championing diversity in all areas of the business, and together we are on a journey toward a better world. We support the well-being of our employees in and outside of work by providing a variety of opportunities including award-winning work-life integration resources, development programs, complex health and wellness offerings, and much more.
Herman Miller is a globally recognized provider of furnishings and related technologies and services. Headquartered in West Michigan, we have relied on innovative design for over 100 years to solve problems for people wherever they work, live, learn, and heal.
Herman Miller is committed to diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer including veterans and people with disabilities.