Position: Director of Nursing
Reports To: CEO
Position Location/Department: Nursing
Job Summary: With limited supervision and broad general direction, provides oversight of Nursing Services (the emergency room, medical surgical floor and Surgical Services). Assisting and work shifts with all services associated with trauma, Medical- Surgical, surgical and swing bed care. Advocates and supports quality improvement, patient safety, and infection control for the Nursing Services department. Liaisons with other departments for support of Nursing Services department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Refine processes and instill critical thinking as core skills of team; capable of raising the bar for expectations for the Nursing Services department
• Sets expectations through applying measurable goals and objectives and holds oneself accountable for progress to goals and objectives of the nursing team.
• Monitors performance of nursing team during daily operations, emergency situations, along with after-care
• Team builder; willing and able to work shoulder to shoulder with the nursing department team-managing by example
• Core values consistent with a patient/family-centered approach to care.
• Demonstrates professional and effective written and verbal communication skills.
• Demonstrates a positive, respectful attitude and a keen sense for professional customer
service. Proactively acts as a patient advocate.
• Acknowledges patients’ rights on confidentiality issues, maintains patient confidentiality at all times, and adheres to HIPAA guidelines and regulations.
• Recognizes and responds to opportunities for improvement based on established, evidence-based practice. Quality focused and community-based care measures are instituted and measured.
• Demonstrates the ability to use all channels of communication to address concerns, problems, and conflicts with other departments
• Create an environment of trust and mutual respect through interaction with team
• Refine processes and instill critical thinking as core skills of team; capable of raising the bar for expectation for the nursing team
• Possess and demonstrate management with the abilities for exceptional communication and problem solving
• Sets expectations through applying measurable goals and objectives and holds team accountable for progress to goals and objectives
• Able to meaningfully engage nursing department and providers
• Balance the needs and capabilities of the nursing services with the realities of a small rural hospital
• Capable of applying new standards with eye toward increasing nursing department volume and complexity of care offered
• Develop ways to improve and streamline patient flow and identify process improvement initiatives
• Maintains ED inventory of supplies and medications working in conjunction with central supply, pharmacy and anesthesia; works with central supply to make arrangements and manage equipment venders and manufacturing representatives in accordance with hospital policy
• Understand and apply hospital policy and procedures along with identifying ways to improve policies through experience and observation
• Identify and execute a skills improvement plan to safely increase the level of acuity of care by instilling confidence and a sense of empowerment needed for critical thinking and problem-solving
• Develop a team of enthusiastic nurses that strive to achieve and excel at providing the level care and patient (and family) service that will distinguish the function of the department
• Recruitment of high caliber nursing staff and create innovative staffing models to meet the needs of a small rural hospital; establish needs and opportunities for training, continuing education, job shadowing and other interactions with outside organizations; conduct assessments of nursing staff and help identify training and education programs that contribute to building talent, including the development of ED staff to support HAZMAT and other biological medical condition threats that may arise
• Motivate people around new methods and processes
• Understands Meaningful Use and is proficient with an electronic health record along with being able to train staff in its use for effective charting and charge capture
• Able to assist in identifying resources and prioritizing needs based upon nursing services volume and cost
• Assures emergency services is in compliance with current standards established by the HFAP, CMS, and other regulatory agencies. Monitors compliance with State of Michigan requirements for licensure renewal by ED staff personnel
• Interacts with physicians and other department managers regarding patient care issues in collaboration with the Director of Nursing
• Participates on committees as assigned for purposes of developing and implementing standards for quality of nursing services, reviewing quality and risk and identifying and developing quality improvement plans accordingly along with implement overseeing activities required to complete established QI projects
• Provides mentoring/coaching of other population health and care coordination team members
• Cultivates effective partnerships, effectively collaborates with all practice providers (Physician, Nurse Practitioner, Physician Assistant and other licensed allied health team-members)
• Demonstrates understanding in use of IT resources and patient databases along with electronic medical record and registry data systems.
• Provide a coordinated, strategic approach to detect early and manage effectively the chronically ill patient population.
• Serve as the contact-point, advocate, and informational resource for patient, family and care team.
• Ensure effective tracking of test results, medication management, and adherence to follow-up appointments.
• Understands Meaningful Use and is proficient with an electronic health record along with being able to train staff in its use for effective charting and charge capture.
• Ensures cost charges are effectively captured and reported for revenue. Tracks trends for missed charges and institutes corrective actions
• Punctuality is a critical part of this position.
• Organizational skills with an attention to detail
• Checking hospital email at least once per workday since primary source of communication.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.