Timber Products Company is seeking a Log Yard Supervisor for its Hardwood Veneer & Lumber Division in Munising, Michigan. This position is the primary support of the log yard team and manages all aspects of the log yard; providing input to the Resource Manager for effective decision-making and optimization of log yard activities necessary to maximize production and efficiency, while ensuring compliance with state and federal Safety and Health regulations as well as business and Company guidelines and initiatives. Major responsibilities include:
- Log mensuration and grading
- Oversee log sales
- Communicate direction and engage and support log yard team to achieve excellence in all areas
- Lead safety performance by sustaining a rigorous safety culture by operating at the highest standards and complying with all regulations and policies
- Responsible for log inventory – log rotation, log sorting, managing the efficient flow of logs necessary to meet production flow demands, etc.
- Responsible to ensure log quality standards are met, in accordance with quality standards as specified by the Log Procurement team
- Communicate with mill operations and log procurement to ensure correct product mix is achieved to maximize efficiency
- Communicate with log scalers and Log Procurement team on all aspects of log grading, by identifying and documenting log quality issues, out of spec logs, production killers, and providing timely feedback so issues can be addressed quickly
- Work with Log Procurement team on log/load quality issues and flow
- Suggest operational improvements to enhance quality, improve production, and reduce costs
- Manage site residuals
- Maximize yard production and efficiency
- Supervise and direct work of 2-3 log yard employees
- Coordinate schedules of log yard employees
- Maintain strong working relationships with Log Procurement and mill operations teams
- Ensure that all Company and OSHA safety standards are followed to provide a safe work environment for all employees and visitors
- Ensure compliance with all Federal, State and Company policies, including environmental regulations
Timber Products Company is a leader in diversified wood products sales, manufacturing, and transportation. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package including company paid medical, dental, and prescription insurance for employees and their families. We also offer life insurance, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, 401(k) plan with employer match, vacation plan, and a generous holiday schedule.
Timber Products Michigan is an equal opportunity employer, including protected veterans and people with disabilities, supporting a drug free and tobacco free workplace.