Our Maintenance Division is looking for hard-working and enthusiastic candidates to fill multiple entry level positions as full time Road Maintenance Workers. Under the direction of Superintendents and Crew Leaders; the Road Maintenance Workers will perform general labor tasks associated with the repair, maintenance and construction of assigned State, primary and secondary roads and right-of-ways throughout Kent County.
The ideal candidate for this position will be someone who is able to perform physical labor, work in all weather conditions, loves to be outdoors, isn't afraid to get dirty and wants to take pride in the work they do.
What you will do:
- Performs manual labor in the repair, maintenance and construction of roads and right-of-ways that may require the use of hand tools such as shovels, picks, rakes, chain saws, axes, hand saws, power drills, post hole diggers, and up to 90 pound jack hammer.
- Assist with traffic control during road maintenance/construction including flagging traffic, setup and removal of cones, message/arrow boards and temporary signage.
- Serves as part of a crew for shoveling and raking blacktop; installs guardrail or marker posts; cuts trees and brush; works on new construction.
- Hauls equipment and materials such as fill, washed sand, stone, gravel or asphalt to work sites and records materials, parts, supplies, time and equipment used for each project.
- Remove and dispose of trash, dead animals and other debris found on roads and highways.
- Work with assigned crew to remove weeds, clear debris, clean ditches, mowing grass and maintaining landscaping.
- Remove and/or trim fallen and existing trees and brush using chain saw, stump cutter, chipper and other related equipment.
- Fills holes, patches potholes, seal coats/chip seals roads and repairs crack seal to maintain good road conditions.
- Plow snow and ice from roads; load, haul and spread salt or sand on roads to remove snow or ice.
- Respond to emergency roadway and severe weather events and assist with storm clean up.
- Inspects and performs minor maintenance on vehicles and equipment; reports major problems to supervisor.
- Perform various maintenance duties within the Road Commission as workloads, temporary absences or emergencies dictate