Position Summary: A Senior Creative Product Designer creates visual concepts to communicate ideas that inspire, inform, and captivate consumers. This Designer understands consumer and retailer needs and uses that information to create product that will be successful in the marketplace. The role is a blend of highly conceptual and technical functions. The position is responsible for design trend research, new product concepting, design execution and refinement and preparation of art for reproduction. The role requires a high level of creativity, skilled application of art knowledge and aesthetics, graphic design proficiency, lettering and typography expertise and understanding of print manufacturing processes to deliver consistently innovative, high-quality and relevant products. In addition to excellence in production output, the Senior Creative Product Designer contributes strategic thinking, day-to-day leadership and expert-level process knowledge to department and cross-functional collaboration. This role collaborates effectively with Creative team, Product Development, Marketing and Sales departments to understand client needs and develop product that is aesthetically appealing within established graphic and brand parameters. Day-to-day supervision is limited.
Principal Role Responsibilities:
- Design and develop a wide range of innovative consumer products including cards, paper tableware, gift packaging, home decor, giftware, & packaging.
- Create and edit art as needed for product.
- Develop concepts, seeing them all the way through the design process to production.
- Lead/participate in brainstorms and projects to develop innovative, brand right product that supports creative strategies and meets retailer and consumer needs.
- Lead by example with excellent collaboration, communication and creativity.
- Leads and/or represents the department on cross-functional teams and projects.
- Mentor and assist creative production designers to develop their understanding of design, product development and internal systems.
- Train others in production file preparation, product planning internal systems and price value guidance.
- Maintain an understanding of current industry trends and market conditions.
- Research design/fashion trends, market trends, product innovation, vendors and other departmental topics.
- Utilize market research, trend analysis and brand differentiation strategies; interpret and apply learnings to product design and processes.
Product Design and Development:
- Interprets product concept instructions, executes, and refines art with a high level of proficiency.
- Illustrates concepts by designing rough art layouts and applies strong layout, color and finishing solutions when creating product design concepts, effectively integrating hand lettering and typography when applicable.
- Understands and supports corporate pricing strategies by designing innovative product with appropriate attributes and perceived value that align with specified price and cost targets.
Day to Day Leadership:
- Exhibits high level product development, production and quality standards
- Act as back-up art director for product reviews, department representation and other responsibilities as needed.
- Leads small to medium programs or collections and additional special projects (prep line, lead referencing or brainstorming, etc
- Proactive communication and collaboration with the creative team and other stakeholders to plan, conceptualize, create, analyze, organize and execute assigned projects.
- Work as part of the creative team to develop and maintain effective and consistent graphics that support brand strategy.
- Versatile, flexible team player with the ability to collaborate cross functionally
- Ability to receive constructive feedback from other team members and colleagues with an open mind.
- Support and collaborate with Marketing team by cross-training on catalog production and digital graphics across marketing platforms.
- Provides strong conceptual/aesthetic direction, either through written or verbal communication, to team members and outside resources.
- Gives or incorporates design feedback throughout review process.
- Proactively prioritizes assignments with little or no supervision, coordinating deadlines with manager and team members, manufacturing, sourcing, and freelance studios.
- Consistently meets all project and task deadlines as assigned by Creative Director and/or Resource Planner.
- Be flexible and adapt to changes in the work environment in ways that helps other members keep projects on course.
- Exhibits full responsibility for one’s own work achievements and consistently maintains a high level of self-management that contributes to sustained high performance
- Effectively use the time available to complete work tasks and activities that lead to the achievement of expected work objectives.
Convivial Brands Expectations of all Employees:
- Adheres to all Convivial Brands Policies and Procedures.
- Conducts self in a manner consistent with Convivial Brands’ Core Values at all times.
- Maintains a positive and respectful attitude with all contacts.
- Consistently reports to work on time and prepared to perform the duties of the position.
- Meets productivity standards and performs duties as workload necessitates.
- Maintains the privacy of all company proprietary information.
- Treat visitors, vendors, customers, and team members with respect and dignity.
- Able to safely perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Must maintain a score of Y on the GWC rating scale.
- No direct reports currently.
- Support, encourage, coach, and maintain accountability through their influence to ensure success for the team members and for the organization.