As the largest not-for-profit health care system serving Michigan, we offer a world of opportunity within our expansive system. We have more nationally ranked hospitals than any other health system in the state, including six that are Magnet-recognized. In total, Beaumont has eight hospitals and 155 outpatient sites that provide diverse practice settings located in communities throughout southeastern Michigan and the greater Detroit metropolitan area.
More complex processing of specimens received in various Labs, some section lead responsibilities. Prepares for and assists in special procedures. May have equipment maintenance and quality control duties. May handle hazardous chemicals. May fill in for lab assistant. Duties may include responsibilities specific to assigned department and may vary dependent on assigned site/department.
1. Processing specimens: As appropriate for each lab, this may include hand staining, gram staining (micro set ups), inoculating specimens, aliquot reagents and solutions, setting up cultures, cytopreparation, accessioning, receiving, processing, pouring over, distributing, storing, disposing of specimens.
2. Anatomic Pathology: Assisting in specialized specimen collection processes and bedside testing, such as fine needle aspirations. General interpretation overview of clinical cases as well as correct determination of appropriate auto text messages.
3. Communicates with healthcare personnel outside of department with regard to reports, clarification of requests, other problems related to specimens, requests, and testing delays.
4. Teaching and training, acting as section leads.
5. Participates in:
* Patient and Family-Centered Care culture
* Q.I./process improvements, data collection, QC documentation, and/or CAP surveys as applicable to the assigned department.
* Staff activities of a High Reliability Organization (HRO)
* Assists in training new hires as applicable/assigned
* Staff meetings and committee meetings as assigned
6. Cost effectiveness: Efficient use of time in completing tasks accurately and timely. Mindful of appropriate use of laboratory funds through purchase requests and the observance of wasteful use of supplies.
7. Any other duties as needed.
This document represents the major duties, responsibilities, and authorities of this job, and is not intended to be a complete list of all tasks and functions. It should be understood, therefore, that incumbents may be asked to perform job-related duties beyond those explicitly described.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
A. Education / Training:
* High school diploma or equivalent required.
* Bachelor's/associate degree (biology, chemistry/histology) or completion of laboratory assistant training program preferred.
* Minimum 1 year laboratory experience.
B. Certification, Licensure, Registration:
* MLA ASCP certification after 1 year experience recommended.
C. Other Qualifications:
* Computer / keyboard skills.
* Familiarity with Medical Terminology and medical processes.
* Good Communication skills.
* Experience as a Laboratory Assistant recommended if appropriate to assigned department.
* Experience using Word and Excel software.
A. Physical Effort:
* Frequent walking between various hospital areas to deliver specimens. Long periods of standing while at various work-stations. Frequent lifting of up to 25 pounds.
B. Work Environment:
* Works in a laboratory and is exposed to a variety of reagents, toxins, fumes, odors and infectious agents.
* Potential risk of an exposure to hazardous medications or waste materials of hazardous medications.
Beaumont offers a comprehensive benefits package to meet your financial, health and life-work balance goals.
NEW On-demand pay program - powered by Payactiv
Generous paid time off, holidays and flexible scheduling
Our employees receive special discounts on a wide range of products and services
Exceptional health, dental, vision and prescription drug insurance plans
This is where extraordinary begins. Find out where it can take you and your career. Apply Now!
* Beaumont Health grants equal employment opportunity to all qualified persons without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, religion, genetic information, marital status, height, weight, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected category.
Beaumont Health is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability.