Works under the supervision of lead, supervisor, experienced staff, and/or clinicians within Pathology or Laboratory.
Essential Functions for Outpatient Phlebotomists:
- Collects blood specimens from patients of all ages at varied outpatient draw sites throughout West Michigan, with a strong emphasis on safety and quality.
- Greets and communicates in a manner consistent with caring and respect while maintaining confidentiality. Answers telephones, takes messages, and interacts with patients, families and visitors in a manner consistent with Spectrum Health hospitality standards.
- Serves as resource regarding specimen requirements and processing, including the mentoring of new staff.
- Processes orders and specimens, performs computer entry and other related activities per standard.
- Receives incoming specimens, checks for proper labeling and routes to appropriate location.
Please note this position is posted for the hours of work required year round. This position does not offer seasonal employment.
Education - High School Diploma or equivalent
Drivers License – MI (MI DR LIC)
Education - Graduate of a Phlebotomy training program (based on specific Spectrum Health entity and department as appropriate) Science courses particularly in anatomy and/or physiology Associate's Degree or equivalent in Healthcare related field
Experience - Dealing with the public, preferably in the medical or customer service field
Phlebotomist certification Based on specific Spectrum Health entity and department as appropriate