You can make a salary. Or you can make a difference. Or you can work as a Senior Financial Analyst - External Financial Reporting at Herman Miller and make both.
About this Opportunity
This role is on the Controller's team at Herman Miller and is responsible for ensuring appropriate external financial reporting and technical accounting. The Controller's team creates consolidated financial statements and ensures compliance with US Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (US GAAP) and Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) reporting requirements in our public financial reporting. You will have significant visibility to the C-suite and Finance Leadership Team and gain a broad view of the overall enterprise at a consolidated level. You'll work with and learn from an amazing team of experienced, dedicated financial professionals.
What You'll Do
You'll have opportunities to speak up, solve problems, lead others, and be an owner every day as you . . .
- Take responsibilityfor Herman Miller's SEC reporting activity, including Forms 10-K, 10-Q, 11-K, 8-K, and S-8 filings with collaboration from stakeholders at various levels throughout the organization in driving SEC reporting to completion.
- PrepareHerman Miller's quarterly consolidated financial statements, including the Income Statement, Balance Sheet, Statement of Cashflows, and Statement of Stockholder's Equity.
- Lead the preparation ofquarterly earnings releases, working closely with the Vice Presidentof Investor Relations.
- Developaccounting positions on complex transactions, such as purchase accounting for business combinations.
- Monitor and identify changes in accounting standards and SEC reporting requirements. You'll leadresearch efforts related to such changes and direct the development of Herman Miller's accounting positions on such new pronouncements. Technical accounting projects are primarily focused on US GAAP,but may also include International Financial Reporting Standards components.
- Help developnew accounting policies and oversee the maintenance of existing policies.
- Prepare quarterly accounting updates for Herman Miller's Audit Committee.
- Act as a key liaison between the Corporate Controller's team and internal and external auditors in order to successfully navigate quarterly reviews and the annual audit.
- Serve as a key contributor to the annual accounting conclusions such as impairment assessments (applying a variety of valuation techniques).
- Apply knowledge of Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) requirements to maintain compliance with certain controls over financial reporting.
- Aid Herman Miller in the oversight and maintenance of its risk/control framework.
- Bring a continuous improvement mindset to the development, maintenance, and modification of processes to deliver outcomes with high levels of accuracy.
- Perform additional responsibilities as requested to achieve business objectives.
Sound Like You?
You might be just who we're looking for if you have . . .
- A Bachelor's degree in Finance, Accounting, or equivalent. An MBA is preferred.
- A CPA (Certified Public Accountant).
- Six years of experience in a professional finance position.
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP. Experience with SEC reporting and IFRS is preferred.
- Experience with Workiva or other online SEC filing tools (preferred).
- Highly developed and thorough knowledge and expertise in your finance area of specialty, resulting in the confidence to advise, influence, and partner with various groups to affect change, guide business decisions, and identifying reporting needs.
- The ability to accomplish desired objectives and outcomes by influencing individuals at all levels.
- Well-developed interpersonal, communication, and facilitation skills.
- Highly developed analytical skills to analyze problems and generate new ideas and solutions.
- The ability to identify, define, and resolve complex problems, projects, and programs, as well asto identify trends and issues.
- The ability to establish and implement policies and procedures.
- The ability to effectively lead cross-functional teams and projects.
- The abilityto perform all essential job functions of the position with or without accommodations.
Who We Are
At Herman Miller, our unique culture represents the collective attitudes, ideas, and experiences of the people who work here. We focus on protecting the environment, impacting our communities, exceeding the expectations of our customers through high quality products, and championing diversity in all areas of the business, and together we are on a journey toward a better world. We support the well-being of our employees in and outside of work by providing a variety of opportunities including award-winning work-life integration resources, development programs, complex health and wellness offerings, and much more.
Herman Miller is a globally recognized provider of furnishings and related technologies and services. Headquartered in West Michigan, we have relied on innovative design for over 100 years to solve problems for people wherever they work, live, learn, and heal.
Herman Miller is committed to diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer including veterans and people with disabilities.