The Medical Group Biller is responsible for the implementation of data and patient billing into the practice management system for the Medical Group. He / she works under the direct supervision of the Medical Group Manager.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Maintains patient confidentiality as it is described in the HIPAA Privacy Act.
- Submits timely, accurate and compliant claims by utilizing the billing software.
- Responsible for patient billing as assigned by work flow.
- Responsible for reviewing practitioner notes for appropriate documentation for accurate billing.
- Reviews, investigates, addresses denials report timely and accurately.
- Prepares reports from the practice management system as scheduled and/or requested.
- Serves as back up to department as needed.
- Serves as liaison between the Medical Group, hospital departments and patients with questions.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Medical Group Manager and/or the Chief Executive Officer of the Medical Group.
Essential Job Qualifications (Knowledge, Education, and Training Requirements):
- High school education or equivalent; associates degree preferred.
- Three to five years experience medical billing.
- Knowledge of third party billing regulations.
- Proficient time management and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Ability to problem-solve and work effectively as a team member.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Experience with Practice Management and Electronic Medical Records systems
- Computer experience with high accuracy level of data entry
- Ability to operate general business office equipment
- Excellent telephone, organizational and customer service skills
- Organizational and problem solving skills and attention to detail
- Information management skills to communicate, explain, interpret and present data
- Physical Demands - Able to exert up to 10 pounds of force occasionally (up to 1/3 of the time); to lift, carry, push, pull, up to 10 pounds occasionally; to sit for the majority of the time, but may involve brief periods of time involving walking or standing; to use keyboard frequently (1/3 to 2/3 of the time)
Other Preferred Job Qualifications:
- Completion of medical office courses.
- Certification as Certified Professional Coder (CSC), Certified Coding Specialist-Professional (CCS-P), or Certified Medical Reimbursement Specialist (CMRS).
- Solid working knowledge of ICD-9-CM and CPT coding structures.
- Previous experience in similar position or tenure at practice to accept this position.
Mary Free Bed is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetic information, veteran status, disability or other legally protected characteristic.