About this Opportunity
The Senior Manager - External Financial Reporting works on the Controller's team at Herman Miller and ensures appropriate external financial reporting and technical accounting. The Controller's team creates the consolidated financial statements and ensures compliance with US Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (US GAAP) and Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) reporting requirements in our public financial reporting, including an appropriate control environment. This position has significant visibility to the Board of Directors' Audit Committee, leadership team, and Finance leadership team and offers a broad view of the overall enterprise.
What You'll Do
You'll have opportunities to speak up, solve problems, lead others, and be an owner every day as you . . .
- Directthe financial and accounting analysis of complex business issues and activities, which may require consulting with other disciplines within the organization to drive business outcomes while adhering to the appropriate accounting treatment. You will preparewritten position memorandums documenting these topics.
- Monitorand identifychanges in accounting standards and SEC reporting requirements. You will leadthe research efforts related to such changes and direct the development of Herman Miller's accounting positions on such new pronouncements. Technical accounting projects are primarily focused on US GAAPbut may also include International Financial Reporting Standards components.
- Overseeannual accounting conclusions such as impairment assessments (applying a variety of valuation techniques).
- Take responsibility for Herman Miller's SEC reporting activity, including Forms 10-K, 10-Q, 11-K, 8-K, and S-8 filings with collaboration from stakeholders at various levels throughout the organization in driving SEC reporting to completion.
- Coordinateand maintainexternal audit relationships.
- Present quarterly to the Audit Committee of the Board of Directors of significant financial statement disclosures.
- Develop and maintaininternal accounting policies and ensureadherence to those policies.
- Take joint oversight of Sarbanes Oxley compliance.
- Developmonthly, quarterly, and annual reporting packages and assistin presentation to C Suite and the Board of Directors, including the analysis of financial results.
- Workindependently with outside consultants (external auditors, valuation specialist, actuaries, etc.).
- Bringa continuous improvement mindset to the development, maintenance, and modification of processes to deliver outcomes with high levels of accuracy.
- Perform additional responsibilities as requested to achieve business objectives.
Sound Like You?
You might be just who we're looking for if you have . . .
- A Bachelor's degreein Finance or Accounting. A Master's degree or MBA is preferred.
- A CPA - Certified Public Accountant.
- 10 years of experience in a professional finance experience.
- 10-15 years of professional experience and a proven track record working in the financial operations of a large, publicly traded company.
- Experience and exposure supporting manufacturing and distribution operations financial activities (preferred).
- Highly developed financial knowledge, well-developed business acumen, and knowledge on a wide range of accounting topics, along with the ability to research various accounting positions.
- Knowledge of Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) requirements to maintain compliance with certain controls over financial reporting.
- Leadership skills with the ability to motivate teams and drive results.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills and the ability to quickly access and understand trends and circumstances.
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP. Experience with SEC reporting and IFRS is preferred.
- Experience with Workiva or other online SEC filing tools (preferred).
- Highly developed and thorough knowledge and expertise in your finance area of specialty, resulting in the confidence to advise, influence, and partner with various groups to affect change, guide business decisions, and identifyreporting needs.
- The ability to accomplish desired objectives andoutcomes by influencing individuals at all levels.
- Well-developed interpersonal, communication, and facilitation skills.
- The ability to establish and implement policy and procedures.
- The ability to effectively lead cross-functional teams and projects.
- The ability to perform all essential job functions of the position with or without accommodations.
Who We Are
At Herman Miller, our unique culture represents the collective attitudes, ideas, and experiences of the people who work here. We focus on protecting the environment, impacting our communities, exceeding the expectations of our customers through high quality products, and championing diversity in all areas of the business, and together we are on a journey toward a better world. We support the well-being of our employees in and outside of work by providing a variety of opportunities including award-winning work-life integration resources, development programs, complex health and wellness offerings, and much more.
Herman Miller is a globally recognized provider of furnishings and related technologies and services. Headquartered in West Michigan, we have relied on innovative design for over 100 years to solve problems for people wherever they work, live, learn, and heal.
Herman Miller is committed to diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer including veterans and people with disabilities.