Northwest Michigan Works! is searching for a Career Advisor who will be responsible for the coordination of the State of Michigan's Clean Slate criminal record expungement program. As a Northwest Michigan Works! Career Advisor you will provide guidance, instruction, and support to individuals who are seeking to have eligible legal convictions set aside (or expunged), which has the potential to allow the client to pursue increased employment opportunities and advancement. The Career Advisor will assist with legal documents and processes to support individuals throughout the expungement process.
Join our team and have a positive effect on our region's effort to connect employers and job seekers. This is a professional position involving direct customer contact and offers an opportunity to work collaboratively with internal and community partners to facilitate all aspects of the expungement process.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Plan and implement outreach activities and recruit potential program participants as well as community partners.
- Meet with participants and collaboratively develop strategies for the expungement of record.
- Request and evaluate criminal records to assess program eligibility.
- Register and track program participants in a CRM.
- Prepare required documents needed to begin and complete the expungement process.
- Develop partnerships with community partners, including prosecuting attorneys and public defenders offices.
- Participate in local team meetings and case reviews to connect participants to employment.
- Monitor participant progress throughout the expungement process.
- Identify and mitigate participant barriers to participation and employment.
- Other Duties as Assigned.
- Ability to develop effective partnerships and collaborative relationships, including partners affiliated with the legal system.
- Ability to lead, coach and mentor customers in a positive manner.
- Case management skills.
- Comfortable with public speaking.
- Possession of a valid driver's license and insurable to drive agency vehicles.
Compensation and Benefits
- Prorated vacation, sick and holiday pay
- Professional work environment
- Team orientated cooperative culture
- Opportunities for career growth
This is a temporary part-time position, paying $20 per hour, working 24 hours per week.