Under direct supervision and training and according to established procedures, polices and regulations, performs technical work involved in decontamination, inspection, assembly, sterilization, sterile storage and distribution of surgical instruments, equipment, and supplies. Assures proper monitoring of sterilization equipment. Occasionally works overtime, rotating weekends and holidays and must take call on a rotating basis for weekends and holidays.
- High school diploma (GED) or equivalent.
- Certification in Central Service Technician from an accredited agency is expected. If not certified, must become certified within two (2) years of hire and must maintain certification. At any point that certification becomes invalid, the individual will have (3) three months to recertify to maintain employment.
- Working knowledge of sterile or aseptic technique.
- Working knowledge of decontamination and sterilization principles.
- Ability to utilize computer applications to include Microsoft Office and various web-based programs.
- Must be able to perform basic computer data entry.
- Ability to read and understand manufacturer instructions for the cleaning and sterilization of proprietary instruments and equipment.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Motivated, self-directed, and assumes responsibility for actions.
- Physical activity involves lifting of 20-50 pound instrument trays or sets, walking, pushing and pulling of carts and equipment. With occasional lifting of heavier trays.
- Able to work with a sense of urgency while maintaining accuracy.
- Must be accurate and willing to follow set rules and standards of practice.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Completes all tasks required at each work-station in CPD.
- Prioritize the workload based on the need of departments.
- Cleans and sorts all soiled instrumentation, drills, scopes and other medical equipment entering the decontamination area based on standards and manufacturer’s instructions. Universal/Standard Precautions and department dress code must be adhered to at all times.
- Operates the washer decontaminator, cart washer, ultrasonic cleaner, automated scope reprocessor, all sterilizers, and computer.
- Perform proper principals and strict techniques of sterilization. Maintains daily records of testing results of Biological Indicators (BI’s) and BOWIE-DICK tests via instrument tracking software. Reads BI’s at the appropriate times and maintain an error rate of no more (1) late or missed read per month.
- Assembles, wraps and packages instrument sets according to count sheets, standards, and manufacturer’s instructions. Inspects all instruments for good working condition. Uses appropriate chemical indicators for sterilization method. Assures proper load tracking on instrument sets via labels. Maintains an error rate that is below 1.0% per month for tray accuracy.
- Assists in additional duties that are identified by CPD Lead Technician, CPD Supervisor, OR Manager and/or Surgical Services Director.
- Communicates missing instrument information to appropriate CPD and OR staff. Provides effective report to the employee assuming responsibilities on the next shift.
- Inventory stock/ non-stock supplies, and implants. Maintains appropriate par levels and notifies CPD Lead or CPD Supervisor of low levels of inventory.
- Assists in keeping the CPD clean and organized.