JOB TITLE: Group Leader - Injection Molding (Third Shift)
BUSINESS GROUP/DEPT.: Molding Business Unit
FLSA: Exempt MIRO-5
REPORTS TO: Molding Business Unit Manager
DATE: February 15, 2021
Leads, supports, and prioritizes the activities of production for all three molding teams. Guide, mentor and lead process techs. Ensures that products produced meet the customer needs in the areas of cost, quality and delivery. Ensures that a safe work environment is always maintained. Monitors mold schedule and adjusts changeover team’s priorities to meet required production demands. Controls labor and adjusts work load to support required manning of molding machines. Tracks team member’s performance, attendance and daily activities. Ensures all team goals are meet in support of Molding KPI. Provides weekend work schedules to all team members. Participates in continuous improvement activities in support of the Magna Donnelly Production System.
The duties listed below will be performed as noted. Supervises primarily non-exempt employees which generally have similar occupational skills, relatively limited scope and impact, as well as employees with more complex skills and duties in a single function. Complexity may be defined as supervision of a broader range of processes, teams, or skill areas or a larger group of employees. The activities supervised can range from routine to moderately complex and impact of decisions involve direct impact to business operations. Primarily responsible to implement and accomplish plans and strategies set to meet daily team goals. Direction of daily activities is of high priority, to ensure safety, quality and production.
- Assists lead process techs and auditors in establishing quality standards and checks. Applies principles of statistical process control when appropriate. Identifies opportunities for common mistake proofing.
- Anticipates safety, quality and productivity problems in work area and takes immediate action to correct unsafe conditions or actions. Ensures employees are appropriately trained in recognizing hazards associated and specific to their job. Holds monthly team meetings, completes safety inspections on a routine basis, and ensures compliance with all Health and Safety policies and procedures. Leads accident/incident investigations. Promotes 5S activities in all work cells. Supports all TPM activities. Conducts performance appraisals for workers' performance.
- Staffs press set to support molding schedule and support quoted targets. Maintains vacation, overtime, and break relief schedules. Analyzes weekly/monthly production performance reports and initiates appropriate action. Monitors mold schedule and ensure compliance. Uses standardized work as a management tool.
- Presents new information to large and small groups. Administers and applies company policy consistently and fairly. Provides constructive feedback to all employees regularly. Orientates new team members on processes, policies, procedures and people. Responsible for maintaining and developing team morale.
- Monitors performance goals to target and makes adjustments. Leads problem solving teams. Applies data analysis tools.
- Performs daily audits as directed by System Assurance. Performs daily part audit for molded parts provided to Lowell. Directs Break Relief / Auditors to drive quality and daily operator performance to work standards.
- Supports weekend overtime, direct teams on required manning and weekend activities. Weekends must be run as a normal business day. All quality checks, audits, etc. must be adhered too.
- Complete end of shift paperwork, scrap entry, audit checks, etc.
- Performs other duties as necessary in support of business objectives.
- Must be discreet with confidential information.
- Uses the Magna Employee Charter as a guideline to provide fair treatment to all employees.
- Provides daily end of shift report to summarize all relevant activities for the day.
- Provides first response to all problems. Documents problems resolves when possible and follows up with the appropriate resource groups to ensure problems are corrected.
- Mechanical aptitude.
- Effective interpersonal skills.
- Effective written and verbal communication.
- At least 2 years’ experience as a Molding Team Coordinator; or equivalent.
- Demonstrated strong communication skills in order to work with internal and external contacts at all levels within the organization and represent the Company in a professional manner.
- Demonstrated strong analytical, troubleshooting, and problem-solving skills for successful performance of job duties. Must have understanding of business issues relevant to job and Company operating procedures and connect these to work priorities and resolve problems.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and develop others through support, training, etc. Must be able to manage staff toward departmental goals usually of a short-term focus.
- Successful completion of basic quantitative and verbal tests.
- Demonstrated leadership skills to lead, manage, prioritize, and deal with many issues at one time.
- Must be able to motivate team toward goals of a moderate-term focus.
- Understanding of mold scheduling, BAAN system and basic computer skills are a must.
- Understanding of TPM and support teams to drive TPM.
- Ability to hold meetings and convey team goals and how they are performing to set goals.
- Ability to except changes to the business objects and support as needed to balance team and company goals.
- Must be self-motivated, have demonstrated positive performance record, strong dependability with a proven attendance record.
- Have already completed or will do so in the first (6) months in the position.
- Job Instruction Training
- Standardized Work Training
- Fact Based Problem Solving
- Blitz Training
- Ergonomic Training
- HR 101