Join a diverse and dynamic team that makes and delivers the most valuable services in the world: electricity and natural gas. At Consumers Energy, our customers are at the heart of everything we do. Our employees work around the clock to provide service to our customers in honor of our history and to fulfill our promise to Michigan - Count on Us! Consumers Energy, the principal subsidiary of CMS Energy and headquartered in Jackson, Michigan, provides natural gas and electricity to nearly 6.8 million of Michigan's 10 million residents in all 68 Lower Peninsula counties.
The James H Campbell Generating Complex is located in West Olive, located on the eastern shore of Lake Michigan between the cities of Holland and Grand Haven, Michigan. The Campbell complex helps Consumers Energy meet the energy needs of its more than 1.8 million electric customers. The Operating Department is responsible for the safe and reliable operation of three large electric generating units that operate 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, providing an important commodity/service. We have excellent facilities, high fidelity training simulators, programs and procedures to train and develop our staffs. All of the units are currently undergoing modifications to comply with air emissions regulations.
The Production Supervisor is responsible for:
- The safe and reliable operation of a coal-fired power plant.
- Directing a union workforce in the safe operation of power plant equipment and maintenance of equipment integrity.
- Administering switching/tagging procedures.
- Investigating and identifying equipment/system deficiencies.
- Supervising, training, developing, appraising and coaching employees.
- Ensuring strict adherence to all Company policies including, but not limited to safety, workers' protective tagout, regulatory/environmental, and Code of Conduct.
- High school Diploma or GED.
- Three or more years of plant operations experience, preferably in fossil generation.
- Technical knowledge in power plant operation or other similar industrial knowledge gained either through a technical field of study and/or through related work experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of safe work practices and procedures; the aptitude to learn plant operations; demonstrated leadership capabilities including the capacity to lead change efforts in a competitive business environment.
- 5 or more years of plant operations experience.
- Supervisory experience.
- Practical knowledge and experience with bargaining unit workforce.
- Knowledge of SAP work management system, and electronic tagging systems.
- Certifications such as: Boiler Operator - Fossil, NERC Operator, Operator Qualifications, or another Operator License.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- The ability to work with other departments, and be able to work backshifts, weekends and holidays.
- Responsible for the planning, organization, coordination, evaluation and supervision of employees assigned to the operation of electric generation plant facilities.
- Directs work activities.
- Recommends changes and enhancements to systems and facilities operation; responds to complaints and requests for information; prepares and maintains reports of completed job orders and the status of jobs in progress.
- Inspects job sites to check on work progress, assure satisfactory completion and plans new assignments; prepares requisitions for operations and maintenance supplies, equipment and materials and supervises special projects as required.
- Conducts regular safety meetings, investigates and completes necessary incident reports and accident reports; maintains records, prepares and submits required reports for appropriate agencies.
- Implements preventative maintenance programs.
- Participates in the control of plant modifications, and computer changes and off-normal equipment situations.
Hours and Travel
- This position requires the individual to work a minimum of 40 hours per week with a majority of the time spent in the office or generating plant.
- Individual needs to be willing to work additional hours as necessary to meet deadlines or assist with equipment related issues and could be given very short notice to do so.
- Individual must be willing to participate in the on-call rotation.
- This position supports site operations which may include evenings, weekends, holidays and overtime or equipment troubleshooting.
- The position requires committee work with Peer assignments.
- Individual must have a valid driver's license.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; stand; walk; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee frequently is required to talk or hear.
- The employee must frequently lift and move up to ten pounds and occasionally lift and move up to seventy-five pounds. The recommended maximum weight for employees to lift without the aid of other employees or a lifting device is 35 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job:
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- The noise level on the field site is often loud.
- Must be able to climb vertical ladders in order to access plant equipment.
- Must be able to wear a powered air purifying or cartridge respirator.
This Job opening is posted for a minimum of three (3) calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended.
Position will be filled at the appropriate salary grade based upon the skills, knowledge, and experience of the selected candidate.
All qualified applicants will not be discriminated against and will receive consideration for employment without regard to protected veteran status, disability, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.