Position: Surgical Technologist
Reports To: Nursing Manager
Schedule: PRN Days
Position Location/Department: Surgical Services
Job Summary: Surgical technologist (ST) will be responsible and accountable to the registered nurse(s) (RN) and/or surgeon for direct patient care, maintenance/upkeep of department equipment, and providing patient information/status updates to the registered nurse. Advocates and supports quality improvement, patient safety, and infection control for the department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Checks supplies and equipment needed for surgical procedure, per surgeon’s preference cards.
• Sets up sterile table with instruments, supplies, equipment, and medications/solutions needed for procedure
• Performs appropriate counts with circulator prior to the operation and before incision is closed
• Helps in draping sterile field
• Passes instruments, etc., to surgeon during procedure
• Maintains highest standard of sterile technique during procedure
• Prepares sterile dressings
• Cleans and prepares instruments for terminal sterilization
• Assists other members of team with terminal cleaning of room
• Assists in prepping room for the next patient
• Checking hospital email at least once per work day since primary source of communication.
• Sets measurable goals and objectives that augment the duties of the RN.
• Able to meaningfully engage RN/surgeon. Follows the direction of the assigned RN(s) and surgeon
• Possess and demonstrate exceptional communication and problem solving.
• Capable of applying new standards of care consistent with evidence-based care.
• Seeks to improve and streamline patient flow and identify process improvement initiatives.
• Conducts inventory of supplies and restocks shelves/cabinets; coordinates resupply with central supply. Eliminates any deficiencies and reports out of stock status of supplies.
• Understand and apply hospital policy and procedures along with identifying ways to improve policies through experience and observation.
• Part of a team that strives to achieve and excel at providing the level care and patient (and family) service that will distinguish the function of the department.
• Understands Meaningful Use and is proficient with an electronic health record along with being able to train staff in its use for effective charting and charge capture.
• Able to prioritize responsibilities based on patient status, acuity, and department volume.
• Assures hospital is in compliance with current standards established by the HFAP, CMS, and other regulatory agencies. Maintains professional licensure in compliance with State of Michigan requirements.
• Provides inputs/suggestions to nursing staff to be considered at hospital committees.
• Responsible for ensuring proper use of supplies and services to maximize the department's available resources based on budget planning. Constantly looking for options/improvements to decrease waste of materials/services.
• Ensures daily charges are captured and reported for hospital revenue.
• Participates in self-scheduling to ensure shift coverage for department; adjusts to shift posting changes/shortages to ensure safe departmental staffing including working varied shift hours to accomplish patient care.
• Completes annual competencies within established timelines.
• Responsible for preparing occurrence reports in accordance with Risk Management protocol and policies whether they be patient, family, or visitor.
• Demonstrates the ability to use all channels of communication to address concerns, problems, and conflicts with other departments. Implements and enforces the chain-of-command.
• Punctuality is a critical part of this position. Performs other duties, as directed by leadership including assisting other departments.
• The surgical technologist handles the instruments, supplies, and equipment necessary during the surgical procedure. He/she has an understanding of the procedure being performed and anticipates the needs of the surgeon. He/she has the necessary knowledge and ability to ensure quality patient care during the operative procedure and is constantly on vigil for maintenance of the sterile field.
• Will provide great customer service and maintain a positive attitude.