CNC Lathe Operator Specialist
Reports to: Supervisor
Location: Muskegon, MI
The primary function of this position is the efficient set-up, operation and troubleshooting of CNC machining centers ensuring the proper machining techniques are followed and acceptable levels of quality and productivity are met within established parameters in a safe and effective manner.
- Starts up and shut down a variety of machine(s) following established company procedures and safety guidelines.
- Sets up and operates numerically controlled (NC, CNC, PLC and other manual machines) lathes (horizontal & Vertical), machining centers and ancillary support machines. performing machining operations including: turning, boring, facing, milling, drilling, and tapping of castings and forgings. Selects and installs tooling into tool posts, turrets or indexing heads.
- Mounts work piece in chuck, or faceplate, or fixture manually or using hoist.
- Performs machining operations on a variety of parts at times with high levels of complexity, ensuring machining operations are performed within established parameters, minimizing scrap and rework with acceptable levels of output.
- Responsible for maintaining a clean and safe environment including identification of unsafe conditions. Steel toed shoes and ANSI approved safety glasses with side shields must be worn at all times.
- Reads and interprets a variety of engineering and quality specifications.
- Applies practical and working knowledge of machines to make the necessary adjustments (turning dials, switches, and assigned offset/program controls) to override machine control and correct machine performance.
- Performs first piece inspection and inspects and records succeeding pieces per prescribed inspection plan for conformance to specification using precision measuring instruments. Also perform first piece inspection for other operator if required.
- Observes numerical displays on control panel and compares with data on process sheet to verify dimensional adjustments, feed rates and speed of machining cuts.
- Performs continuous improvement (lean) activities as may be assigned or required.
- Performs other duties and assignments as scheduled and/or required.
- High school diploma or GED
- Solid understanding and ability to use shop math and precision (micrometers, precision dial gauges etc.) and measuring instruments. Thorough knowledge of CNC machine operation, tool off setting and basic machine code. Must be able to read, write, and understand technical documentation.
- Must be able to read, write, and understand technical documentation. Must be computer literate, able to read process drawings (blueprints), understand geometric tolerances and engineering specifications
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Two (2) year technical degree in manufacturing technology.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States, compliant to ITAR regulations.
- Must be able to sit, stand, bend and move about the plant freely.
- Must be willing to work overtime when needed.
- Must be able to lift or move materials up to 25 lbs.
SKF’s mission is to be the undisputed leader in the bearing business. SKF offers solutions around the rotating shaft, including bearings, seals, lubrication management, condition monitoring and maintenance services. SKF is represented in more than 130 countries and has around 17,000 distributor locations worldwide. Annual sales in SEK is around 85 billion and the number of employees are 45,000.
What You’ll Love About SKF:
Rest and Relaxation. Enjoy a robust PTO policy and 13 paid holidays!
Health and Wellness Benefits. SKF cares about the wellbeing of our employees. Many options for best in class medical and dental plans to fit your needs; a wellness plan that includes biometric screening and health risk assessment for you and your spouse and incentives for healthy living!
Invest in your Future. SKF offers amazing retirement options! You can participate in our 401K program immediately.
Much more! Growth opportunities, tuition reimbursement, voluntary critical illness coverage, voluntary legal plan, employee assistance program, life insurance, vehicle discount programs, mobile phone discounts, and with so many benefits to working for SKF, we could not name them all!
Equal Opportunity Employer/Disable/Veterans