Do you live and breathe innovation?
Do you look at existing solutions and immediately feel drawn to modernize and experiment?
Do you lean forward at the prospect of building software that transforms relationships and businesses?
Is learning and taking action on that knowledge an expectation for you?
If so, we may need to meet.
We’re looking for a Full Stack developer to help us on our quest. To us, that means someone who is eager to jump in on a project with enthusiasm whether that means researching and figuring out solutions on the front or back end.
- Collaborates with the Digital Experience team, the broader IT team, customers, and other business stakeholders to build compelling software products
- Develops applications within a containerized, cloud environment
- Maintains working knowledge of latest changes in software development, data, and automation and applies those learnings to solve business problems
- Traces root cause and troubleshoots until fixed when outages occur
- Helps translate business requirements into technical features and functionality which support customers’ expectations and business needs
- Ensures that application enhancements contain functions and content that is easily measurable using available analytics tools
- Ensures compelling user experiences are backed by well developed, standards-compliant front and back end code
- Collaborates with Enterprise Information Technology (IT) departments to validate solution approaches with IT requirements, presenting project technical designs and specifications for review.
- Creates training and process materials for new and existing systems as needed and assists peers with learning new systems
- Pairs with other programmers to implement features, resolve bugs, and describe acceptance criteria
- This role will be on call as part of a rotating team schedule
Backend: Java, Kotlin, or similar server side programming languages
Frameworks: Expo, Spring Boot
Nice to Have:
- Understanding of the digital assistant space using technologies like Dialogflow, Google Assistant, or Alexa
- Experience building mobile applications for iOS and Android
- Involvement in DevOps and containerized cloud environments:
- Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
- Development experience with consuming/creating web services in REST or SOAP
- Familiarity with development in HTML5 and CSS3
- Exposure with the software design/architecture process
- Experience in an Agile development environment
- Treats Test Driven Development (TDD) as a priority
- Contributes documentation to code repositories as features are created/modified
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, and work independently or within a team environment
- Comfortable using a debugger to troubleshoot and resolve bugs
- Willing and able to take on new responsibilities with a strong desire to succeed
- Ability to explain complex technical issues to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Carefully listens to understand business problems from customers and provides solutions to meet those needs
- Assists in maintaining and refactoring code to address technical debt
- Understands of the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC)
Every day our team looks for ways to improve ourselves, and this role exemplifies that. It’s placed at the heart of a bespoke software development unit with line of site to enterprise challenges. That means applying creative thinking to real, sometimes large, business problems with the potential to immerse directly in our community of customers, employees and suppliers.
This role will partner with the Digital Experience team to drive engagement & automation across the customer journey using technologies like React Native and Dialogflow. It’ll mean working on our digital assistant, Gordon Now™, which is focused on surfacing content for customers and employees over voice, chatbot, an app for Android and iOS, and gfs.com/gordonnow.com. As part of that you’ll have opportunities to build integrations, experiment with various ML models leveraging our data, and overall digitize how we serve customers. Our longer term goal is to build a runtime layer powered by artificial intelligence that serves customers throughout their journey with us.
Why join the Emerging Customer Technology team?
- The opportunity to transform the organization. Our specialty is at the intersection of emerging technology and how it can benefit people and process.
- You’ll build software that exemplifies modern development practices.
- Aligned with high level goals, you’re able to prioritize your own tasks and collaborate with others as needed to succeed. We believe that agency enables the best results.
- Adapting to solve new problems sounds exciting to you. We’ll be tackling work that doesn’t have defined precedents -- we pivot quickly and find ways to encourage sustained adoption and growth.
- Continuous learning is the norm here.
- You’d relish the opportunity to make running foodservice operations a joy.
What do we need from you?
- A love for software development and a thirst to understand the business benefits it unlocks.
- Willingness to dive in and understand enterprise systems so that we can effectively integrate the new digital products we build.
- Fluency with the software development life cycle and software engineering concepts so that you can advise us on automation and how to front load functional software for iterative development. Understand and be ready to use object oriented development.
- Resilience. We’re working to change hearts and minds, not every conversation will create an immediate positive
- outcome, we’re in it for the long haul.
- An obsession with learning. This person will need to gain context of our current environment and afterward be constantly looking for ways to improve it.
- Interest in understanding business problems and finding creative ways to solve them.
- Active listening. When our business stakeholders share feedback it’s critical they feel heard and understood.
- Respect for keeping things lively. That means at times we’ll need to do maintenance on tools that have already been built, or come back to our earlier work to make improvements.
Leading Candidates Will Have . . .
- A portfolio of software they’ve developed and can share.
- Demonstrated fluency in the software development lifecycle and software engineering concepts.
- The ability to communicate complex engineering problems to a non-technical audience.
- Long term goals in mind, and an understanding that there will be lows and highs on our way to achieving them.
Skills That’ll Give You an Edge
- Continuous Development (umbrella for continuous integration, delivery, testing & deployment).
- Experience using artificial intelligence to automate data capture, act in an event-based architecture, and transform data.
- Integrations experience with Salesforce.com
- Agile Scrum using JIRA.
- Static Code Analysis.
- Experience building integrations using REST, SOAP etc.
More on What We Do
- Our digital assistant, which spans a chatbot, voice, and native app: gfs.com/gordonnow
- More software we’ve built: https://www.gfs.com/en-us/solutions/online-tools