The position of Custom Shop Bench Assembler is responsible for taking CAD drawings or concepts of custom desk, furniture and other wood-surfaced products to completion. The Custom Shop Bench Assembler will take moderately complex pieces and parts with pre-cut, drilled and edged materials to produce a quality finished good of specified materials, dimensions, and color.
Essential Functions, Duties and Responsibilities
- Fabricates complex high-quality furniture and other wood-surfaced sub-assemblies using stationary and hand held-tools.
- Interprets material specifications and design/engineering drawings to ensure finished product meets design and engineering requirements with a high level of quality and detail.
- Safely use hand tools and machinery including chop saws, planers, bore machines, band saws, hand routers, belt sanders, and rip saws to load, unload and neatly stack completed parts.
- Trim, sand, or scrape surfaces or joints to prepare articles for finishing.
- Visually inspect parts / products and can correct discrepancies or inaccuracies in specifications that do not adhere to accepted practice or quality standards.
- Adhere to 5-S by maintaining a clean, safe and orderly work area.
- Comprehend and uses Lean and continuous improvement principals.
- Ability to work in manufacturing and production software and systems.
- Work in an extremely safe manner, following all safety rules and regulations.
- Embody and uphold the Worden Group core values.
- Develop teamwork by establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with all employees.
- Work with enthusiasm, remain optimistic, and seek innovative solutions to problems.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or G.E.D. equivalent
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in Cabinet making, Furniture Carpentry, or other woodworking fields.
- Experience in the Architectural Millwork industry, including: AWI standards, architectural veneers and veneer sequencing, custom architectural cabinetry, and plastic laminate casework.
- Ability to read, comprehend and correctly interpret CAD drawings and production paperwork.
- Ability to use a variety of woodworking tools and techniques.
- Ability to consistently perform manual labor, heavy lifting and to sustain physical work activities, such as lifting up to 50 lbs., standing, bending and walking.
- Good attendance, work performance and safety records.
- Good communication, interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Ability to work extra hours as needed including up to 12 hours and Saturday, on short notice.
- Detail Orientated.
- Teamwork Orientation.
- Time Management.
- Performance Management
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The demands described herein are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Required demands include:
- Must be able to operate and use all necessary equipment.
- Must be able to climb ladders and move items that can weigh up to 50 lbs.
- Employee is regularly required to read, count and write accurately to complete all documentation.
- See, hear and communicate with sufficient capability to perform assigned tasks and maintain proper job safety conditions.
- Must be alert and aware of surrounding for safety concerns.
The information contained in this position description is intended to describe the general content and requirements for the successful performance of the position. It is not an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities or requirements. Additional duties and requirements may be assigned.
The Worden Company is a small in size which allows us to treat employees like family and friends not just another employee number. We know that people are the foundation for our success. We are committed to helping our people grow and develop while participating in the success of the company. We offer competitive pay and benefits for full time employees.
At The Worden Company we are not looking for employees to fill a position but for a person who embodies our Core Values, displays an intolerance for complacency and fearlessly pursue new opportunities and innovations.
Our Core Values:
Help First - Our instinct is to help others first and be a positive influence
Resilient - We are tough and resilient. Adversity brings out our best
Tenacious - We are tenacious and will run through walls to win
Creative - Our knack for creative solutions makes us the go-to company
Committed to the Long-term - We do the right thing for the long-term
The Worden Company is a West-Michigan owned company founded in 1949 in Holland, Michigan that takes great pride in our furniture design and manufacturing expertise. Our sensitivity to smart design and commitment to value engineering is instinctual. Extensive, hands-on manufacturing capabilities reside in our 125,000 square foot manufacturing facility.
Our vigilance in industry trends, new technology, and materials usage means that Worden is here to support you... now and into the future. Worden has more than sixty years of experience and a rich heritage. We are creative thinkers and inventors bringing new ideas to learning and collaboration environments. We have broad based wood manufacturing capabilities.