Screw Machine Setup / Operator (A): Job Description
Directly Reports to: Operations Manager
Coordinates with: Setup & Maintenance personnel
- Performs operational duties related to screw machine procedures & instructions. This includes all duties and functions per Screw Machine Operators (A & B) and Setup (B) PLUS:
- Understands how to read machine gearing charts to correctly choose cams and gears appropriate for a given process setup. May or may not need SFM & feed rate assistance from Operations Manager or personnel with other Engineering experience.
- Understands how to fill in a setup sheet to record correct cams & gears.
- Understands all of the feed and chucking functions of the screw machines & can perform basic troubleshooting and repair of potential maintenance issues. Examples: chucking shoe condition, shoe drive condition.
- Understands all slide motions, stops, clutch, brake, and cam functions & can perform basic troubleshooting and repair of potential maintenance issues. Examples: clutch adjustments, follower roller condition.
- Understands speed and feed drive systems & can perform basic troubleshooting and repair of potential maintenance issues. Examples: drive belt tension, gear spacing & condition.
- Understands all cutting and forming (such as knurls) tooling, and how to best select holders, etc. when there are options.
- Understands how to fill in a setup sheet to direct putting cutting tools into the correct positions in the optimal holders.
- Understands all of the various tooling attachments & how to set them up & troubleshoot problems, such as rotary broaching, different recess units, thread rolling units, die / tap threading attachments & pickoffs.
- Can grind certain tools from blanks, such as recesses, edge breaks, etcetera.
- Able to assist Screw Machine Operator (A &B) as well as Setup (B) personnel.
- Able to manage the process on multiple machines while also continuing setup work simultaneously