Description You can make a salary. Or you can make a difference. Or you can work as a Senior Digital Software Engineer - UI at Herman Miller and make both.
About this Opportunity
As a Senior Digital Software Engineer - UI, you'll translate business requirements into customer experiences. You will build interactive and responsive UIs using the latest technologies including Node, React, and Next.js. You'll test and debug applications; identify, track, and resolve defects; and provide technical leadership within the development team. You will lead and collaborate with internal and external business partners to determine systems design within the project scope and strategic direction of Herman Miller. You'll also provide creative thinking and deep understanding in UX definition and UI design.
What You'll Do
You'll have opportunities to speak up, solve problems, lead others, and be an owner every day as you...
- Apply problem-solving skills and execute solutions to problems independently.
- Assist product owners in defining new features and translating technical requirements.
- Clearly communicate status and open issues to the development team and leads.
- Contribute to building a digital culture based on collaboration, inclusion, support, and constant improvement.
- Contribute to front-end architectural improvements and create shared visual components that span our products.
- Create front-end coding standard and best practices.
- Develop and optimize UIs to ensure web applications are rendered consistently in cross-browser and cross-device environments.
- Drive change, including programs that improve developer productivity and reduce time to market.
- Participate in communities of practice in the areas of development in which you have particular interest.
- Prototype and develop new ideas and participate in all parts of the lifecycle from research to release.
- Review the work of fellow engineers in a collegial fashion to ensure code quality and consistency.
- Translate epics, stories, and requirements into technical tasks.
- Work closely with Product Management, UX, and Design, giving input on what is both intuitive and feasible.
- Perform additional responsibilities as requested to achieve business objectives.
Sound Like You?
You might be just who we're looking for if you have...
- A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field.
- Extensive experience with common front-end development tools.
- Experience developing within enterprise content management systems.
- Experience with eCommerce and enterprise eCommerce platforms.
- Experience with modern web architectures and asynchronous service-to-service communication.
- Experience working within an Agile and Scrum based development model.
- Experience writing accessible code and advanced knowledge of WCAG standards.
- Experience building Server Side React (SSR) applications (preferred).
- An aptitude for independently learning new technologies.
- A superior ability to identify and resolve complex problems.
- Well-versed experience with unit testing and debugging techniques, particularly with front-end code.
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills.
- The ability be self-motivated, detail oriented, and function well in a self-directed, team-oriented environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- The ability to perform all essential job functions of the position with or without accommodations.
Who We Are
At Herman Miller, our unique culture represents the collective attitudes, ideas, and experiences of the people who work here. We focus on protecting the environment, impacting our communities, exceeding the expectations of our customers through high quality products, and championing diversity in all areas of the business, and together we are on a journey toward a better world. We support the well-being of our employees in and outside of work by providing a variety of opportunities including award-winning work-life integration resources, development programs, complex health and wellness offerings, and much more.
Herman Miller is a globally recognized provider of furnishings and related technologies and services. Headquartered in West Michigan, we have relied on innovative design for over 100 years to solve problems for people wherever they work, live, learn, and heal.
Herman Miller is committed to diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer including veterans and people with disabilities.
Employee Status: Regular
Work Schedule: 8am-4pm
Primary Location: United States-Michigan-Zeeland
Other Locations: United States-Michigan, United States-Michigan-Holland, United States-New York-New York City, United States-Connecticut