Description You can make a salary. Or you can make a difference. Or you can work as a Senior Studio Engineer at Herman Miller and make both.
About this Opportunity
As a Senior Studio Engineer in the Herman Miller Global Product Development organization, you'll partner with Product Designers to deliver viable, feasible, and desirable solutions. You'll be a design studio team member and engineering leader in the creation of ongoing product extensions, customizations, and new products across all Herman Miller brands and categories. You will support product development by working with Performance Engineers and Product Designers on specific piece part and assembly design through the use of advanced solid modeling CAD and PDM technologies within a project team environment.
What You'll Do
You'll have opportunities to speak up, solve problems, lead others, and be an owner every day as you...
- Communicate frequently and effectively with all internal and external business partners using verbal and written tools and technology tools.
- Communicate with Engineers and Managers on assigned project and exploration teams.
- Coordinate all CAD-related deliverables on major scope design and development initiatives.
- Create complex assemblies using advanced techniques to layout multiple variations of component and product layout interfaces to support assigned projects.
- Create engineering specification CAD models and drawings per Herman Miller and industry standards.
- Drive new strategic CAD initiatives with an emphasis on either Solid/Surface and Programmatic modeling.
- Independently own and design parts/assembles on assigned projects.
- Mentor others by teaching CAD and PDM knowledge and skills and provide answers and direction in the absence of the manager.
- Participate in internal and external CAD user groups.
- Proactively develop, drive, and contribute to new processes and techniques.
- Problem-solve and pioneer next level CAD and engineering tools, processes, functionality, and techniques.
- Research and maintain knowledge of emerging technologies and how they may optimize current business practices.
- Work effectively and seamlessly with all external engineering partners.
- Perform additional responsibilities as requested to achieve business objectives.
Sound Like You?
You might be just who we're looking for if you have...
- A Bachelor's degree in Industrial Design or a related field.
- Seven years of experience as a professional product designer, preferably in the furniture industry.
- Seven years of professional CAD experience.
- Six years of experience leading CAD on large projects as a member of cross-functional teams.
- In-depth knowledge of a variety of materials (wood, plastic, metal) and processes (machining, injection molding, forming, extruding, etc.).
- Expert capabilities in all aspects of Creo/Parametric, Windchill, and Creo/View.
- Advanced technical knowledge and conceptual understanding of the current CAD systems used within the functional area.
- The ability to work in a team environment, supporting overall goals through active participation while valuing the unique skills and contributions of other team members.
- The ability to maintain a positive attitude while addressing concerns.
- The ability to be a self-starter who sees what needs to be accomplished and takes responsibility for the timely completion of tasks and assignments.
- The ability to work effectively and collaboratively with a variety of internal and external business partners.
- Organizational and time management skills.
- The ability to be self-motivated and to work independently.
- Willingness to take ownership of projects and issues, and to drive tasks through to completion.
- The ability to understand the corporation's values, goals, and objectives.
- Financial literacy, good business acumen, and a profit conscious mindset.
- The ability to build flexible/robust 3D CAD to facilitate fast design exploration and iteration.
- The ability to deliver Class A surface data of complex forms.
- The ability to interpret and quickly translate product design intentions (early sketches, rough models, preliminary CAD) into ProE.
- The ability to travel as needed to achieve business objectives.
- The ability to perform all essential job functions of the position to achieve business objectives.
Who We Are
At Herman Miller, our unique culture represents the collective attitudes, ideas, and experiences of the people who work here. We focus on protecting the environment, impacting our communities, exceeding the expectations of our customers through high quality products, and championing diversity in all areas of the business, and together we are on a journey toward a better world. We support the well-being of our employees in and outside of work by providing a variety of opportunities including award-winning work-life integration resources, development programs, complex health and wellness offerings, and much more.
Herman Miller is a globally recognized provider of furnishings and related technologies and services. Headquartered in West Michigan, we have relied on innovative design for over 100 years to solve problems for people wherever they work, live, learn, and heal.
Herman Miller is committed to diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer including veterans and people with disabilities.
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Work Schedule: 8am-5pm
Primary Location: United States-Michigan-Holland