Description You can make a salary. Or you can make a difference. Or you can work as a Senior Product Designer at Herman Miller and make both.
About this Opportunity
As a Senior Product Designer, you'll serve as an internal industrial designer as a member and leader of the Global Design Studio. You will achieve excellent design results on ongoing product extensions, customization projects, and new product design initiatives. You'll participate as a team member and design leader on identified development projects to clarify user problems, identify solution criteria, and deliver advanced design solutions.
What You'll Do
You'll have opportunities to speak up, solve problems, lead others, and be an owner every day as you...
- Apply excellent in-depth problem-solving skills from a user-centric approach.
- Use creativity and innovation to develop product concepts and designs under the authorship of the Herman Miller brand and not as the identified individual design author.
- Contribute to a robust front end of product development by participating in early exploration experiments.
- Design product extensions, improvements, and modifications for existing product lines as a participant on development teams.
- Design product solutions in collaboration with researchers, project managers, and engineers to produce design documents or artifacts.
- Drive unique Herman Miller design proposals into production in collaboration with an internal development team.
- Participate in and contribute to the corporate Design Education Program.
- Proactively drive exploration in new materials, processes, and trends related to product development.
- Serve as the design lead within the project team.
- Speak to and represent design at Herman Miller to customers and stakeholders in informal situations.
- Synthesize user needs, business factors, corporate strategy, research insights, future trends, and company branding into design results.
- Translate customer problems into actionable designs embodying the design tenets of Herman Miller at the highest level of design excellence.
- Work closely with Engineering and Operations resources on process alternatives to arrive at excellent design results within structural, time, and cost constraints.
- Work with external design partners on a project by project basis to assure final design execution.
- Perform additional responsibilities as requested to achieve business objectives.
Sound Like You?
You might be just who we're looking for if you have...
- A Bachelor's degree in Industrial Design or a related field.
- Seven years of experience as a professional designer in the contract or residential furniture industry.
- Experience participating on and/or leading cross-functional project teams.
- A passion for design and its positive impact on users as well as the business.
- Strong collaborative team skills.
- The ability to advance early stage projects and concepts in the absence of refined criteria.
- The ability for in-depth problem identification and translation into desirable, viable, and feasible design results.
- Well-developed communication and interpersonal skills, as well as the ability to work with a broad range of internal and external customers.
- Systemic thinking skills, business acumen, and a holistic perspective.
- The experience and ability to effectively use digital software and tools used in the design, engineering, and office environment.
- Strong proficiency in 3D CAD programs (Rhino, SolidWorks, ProE, or similar).
- Visual communication skills, including sketching, rendering, and building visual and functional prototypes.
- The ability to perform all essential job functions of the position with or without accommodations.
Who We Are
At Herman Miller, our unique culture represents the collective attitudes, ideas, and experiences of the people who work here. We focus on protecting the environment, impacting our communities, exceeding the expectations of our customers through high quality products, and championing diversity in all areas of the business, and together we are on a journey toward a better world. We support the well-being of our employees in and outside of work by providing a variety of opportunities including award-winning work-life integration resources, development programs, complex health and wellness offerings, and much more.
Herman Miller is a globally recognized provider of furnishings and related technologies and services. Headquartered in West Michigan, we have relied on innovative design for over 100 years to solve problems for people wherever they work, live, learn, and heal.
Herman Miller is committed to diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer including veterans and people with disabilities.
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Work Schedule: 8am-5pm
Primary Location: United States-Michigan-Holland