Coldwater, MI, USA
PepperCo, a high-tech fresh produce greenhouse in Coldwater, Michigan, and a member of the Mastronardi Group of Companies, is currently seeking a innovated leader in the role of Assistant Grower to join our team.
The Assistant Grower is responsible for the achievement of strategic plan goals for overall management and oversight of the greenhouse. The position is also responsible to plan, organize, lead and control the daily crop caring tasks.
- Follow direction of General Manager and work with growing systems and other equipment to ensure optimum crop growing. Carry out daily production activities.
- Document, assist and with various trials being performed in the greenhouse, along with interpretation of weekly recordings of important plant measurements.
- Working with IPM Supervisor, share responsibility for pest and disease control. Monitor pests and manage bio control and bee pollination.
- Responsible for submitting water samples, interpreting results and adjusting fertilizers accordingly
- Weekly and daily crop and Climate registration.
- Fertilizer preparation. Water sampling.
- Variety recording and verification of data.
- Ensures crop work is completed within time and quality parameters.
- Responsible for ensuring that employees using equipment appropriately and maintain equipment in good working order.
- Manage inventory of daily use tools and supplies for crop care workers. Investigate and implement more effective tools while keeping costs controlled.
- Ensure cleanliness, adherence to all food safety policies and procedures and organization within the designated greenhouse areas.
- Available to supervise yearly activities such as crop clean out and planting of new crop in areas where required.
- Bachelor's degree preferred.
Specific Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Strong communication and negotiation skills.
- Able to supervise a team.
- Be innovative, possess analytical skills, result-oriented, composure under pressures, attention to detail, perseverance.
- Independent and able to drive other functions in achieving the goals
- At least 3 years of agricultural or related experience required
- Has good technical skills, knowledge and capabilities in packaging technology and applications.
- Ability to set priorities considering short and long-term buisness needs.
*Working Conditions: *
- Greenhouse environment with variable and fluctuating temperatures based on the season, with high temperatures in the summer months
- Fast paced environment working on and around powered industrial equipment and background noise approaches 70 dcbs
- Must be able to work around bees.
- Will be on feet and walking and working on concrete surfaces
- Fluctuating hours and schedule subject to the crop demands.
Posted: October 16, 2020