Northwest Michigan Works! and Northwestern Lower MiSTEM Network Region are looking to hire a Career Advisor. This partnership allows for essential and inspired collaboration between our two agencies along with our educational partners.
As a Northwest Michigan Works! Career Advisor you will work in various schools promoting career activities and collaborate with local professionals to ensure local relevance. This professional position will require knowledge of career awareness activities, community and educational resources, and be able to provide support for local K-12 staff regarding career pathways and connections to our STEM industry.
With the ability to truly have a positive impact in someone else's life, this is an exciting opportunity for an energetic and creative professional. Individuals who can cultivate and maintain positive relationships and have a passion for serving others are encouraged to apply.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Focus on ensuring our local talent is exposed to and has the opportunity to experience the STEM culture.
- Expose teachers to opportunities connected to local STEM industry and empower them to help students gain the skills and experiences that business and industry need.
- Implement and monitor career awareness activities for students throughout the region.
- Facilitate awareness of career development programs available in K-12, CTE, post-secondary, not for profit, and apprenticeship programming.
- Develop pathways for students to explore careers, giving priority to STEM careers.
- Provide career counseling and promotional activities for the career exploration and Educational Development Plans of K-12 student populations in the Northwestern Lower MiSTEM Network Region.
- Identify, evaluate and catalog regional career planning resources for use by students, families, and educators throughout the 7-county Northwestern Lower MiSTEM Network Region.
- Train educators on the use of Educational Development Plans (EDP) and career exploration with an emphasis on STEM careers.
- Develop and provide professional learning for counselors and teachers to implement career exploration within their content and classroom.
- Promote educational options including access to online and project-based programs.
- Implement and promote career exploration and job readiness activities such as career fairs, site visits, and workshops.
- Provide opportunities for career counseling as needed to support local staff.
- Act as a liaison between schools, family and business community and facilitate collaborative partnerships.
- Promote career pathways through awareness of campaigns such as the Going-Pro campaign or events like MiCareerQuest.
- May provide reporting activities.
- Other reasonable duties as assigned.
- Bachelor Degree or equivalent experience in Counseling, Education or related field
- Experience in public speaking and group presentations
- Exceptional communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to relate to students, parents, educators, business community, and other partners
- Must have valid Michigan driver license
- Proficient in computers, programs, and online resources
- Ability to work in teams
- Knowledge of the local labor market and employment practices in public and private sectors
- Familiarity with community resources
- Day travel within the seven-county northwest Michigan area required
Compensation and Benefits:
This is a full time salaried position paying $40,000 per year. The employee is entitled to the Northwest Michigan Works! fringe benefits package that includes: comprehensive health, dental and vision insurance with employer paid premiums; life insurance; employer paid deferred compensation retirement package; paid vacation, paid sick leave, and paid holidays.