We have the great privilege of helping patients and families re-build their lives. It’s extraordinarily meaningful work and the reason we greet the day with optimism and anticipation. When patients “Ask for Mary,” they experience a culture that has been sculpted for more than a century. Our hallmark is to carefully listen to patients and innovatively serve them. This is true of every employee, from support staff and leadership, to clinicians and care providers.
Mary Free Bed is a not-for-profit, nationally accredited rehabilitation hospital serving thousands of children and adults each year through inpatient, outpatient, sub-acute rehabilitation, orthotics and prosthetics and home and community programs. With the most comprehensive rehabilitation services in Michigan and an exclusive focus on rehabilitation, Mary Free Bed physicians, nurses and therapists help our patients achieve outstanding clinical outcomes. The growing Mary Free Bed Network provides patients throughout the state with access to our unique standard of care.
Restoring hope and freedom through rehabilitation.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Mary Free Bed values diversity and inclusion among patients, families and staff. We strive to hire people who reflect the communities we serve. Our employees will serve all patients, families and each other with dignity and respect.
Provide support for payroll processing and volunteer services administrative tasks including helping the team respond to employee questions, payroll processing, volunteer tracking, and assisting with auditing and invoice payments.
- Focus on Patient Care. A selfless drive to serve and heal connects all MFB employees.
- Clinical Variety and Challenge. An inter-disciplinary approach and a top team of professionals create ever-changing opportunities and activities.
- Family Culture. We offer the stability of a large organization while nurturing the family/team atmosphere of a small organization.
- Trust in Each Other. Each employee knows that his/her co-workers can be trusted to make the right decision for our family, patients, staff and community.
- A Proud Tradition. Years of dedicated, quality service to our patients and community have yielded a reputation that fills our employees with pride.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
Payroll Assistant tasks
- Responsible for managing Payroll email inbox and answering employee questions or forwarding to the appropriate team member to respond
- Submit Friend of the Court paperwork (payroll related) and ensure children’s coverage due to the QMSCO isn’t dropped during Open Enrollment
- Assist payroll with processing bi-weekly and monthly payroll and act as payroll processing back-up
- Coordinate with payroll on reconciliations associated with PTO & EII discrepancies, 403b/457 changes, direct deposits, tax reporting, payment of tax liabilities, voluntary deductions, and others as assigned.
- Responsible for tracking and updating 403b/457 contribution changes for bi-weekly and monthly payroll processing
- Submit carrier files (834 files), portability file, and 403b/457 file to carriers each week or after each payroll is processed
- Establish and update payroll, time and attendance, reconciliation and reporting documented procedures
- Assist with training of Managers / Supervisors / Editors / Approvers in the efficient use of the Time Management Systems
Volunteer Services Assistant tasks
- Assist with general and college student volunteer programming including recruiting, setting up interviews, onboarding, confirming paperwork, completing badge requests, and background checks
- Maintain volunteer files, applications, references, TB tests, and quarterly hours
- Maintain database of volunteer information
- Organize the Volunteer Recognition Event including Volunteer of the Year and Student Volunteer of the Year judging and selection
- Assist with volunteer engagement, evaluation, and reporting
- Assist department liaisons with the development of volunteer training for positions within their department
- Monitor ongoing satisfaction with and effective utilization of volunteer placement and collect feedback from volunteers and staff
- Help as needed, in all areas of HR including answering phone lines, greeting guests, and triaging requests for information
Customer Service Responsibilities:
Demonstrate excellent customer service behaviors consistent with organizational and departmental standards. Consistently promote teamwork and direct communication with co-workers. Deal discretely and sensitively with confidential information.
Responsibilities in Quality Improvement:
Contribute by identifying problems and seeking solutions. Promote patient/family satisfaction where possible; participates in departmental efforts to monitor and report customer service.
Essential Job Qualifications (Knowledge, Education, and Training Requirements):
- High school diploma required; Associate degree preferred
- 2 years payroll work experience preferred
- Outstanding skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Ability to speak and present effectively in front of an audience
- Outgoing, energetic, personable, and ability to relate to employees and participants of all ages, education and motivational levels
- High level verbal and written communications skills and ability to multi-task.
- High level of service orientation with strong sense of urgency.
- Flexibility and adaptability.
- Demonstrated ability to build professional relationships.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to organizational mission with a whatever it takes attitude.
- Physical Demands: Able to exert up to 10 pounds of force occasionally (up to 1/3 of the time); to lift, carry, push, pull, up to 10 pounds occasionally; to sit for the majority of the time, but may involve brief periods of time involving walking or standing; to use keyboard frequently (1/3 to 2/3 of the time)
Mary Free Bed is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetic information, veteran status, disability or other legally protected characteristic.